Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie needs some help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rudeboymcc, Apr 6, 2003.

1. rudeboymcc

rudeboymcc

Apr 6, 2003
    hi. i've played bass guitar before for a mates band and i love it. i want to buy a guitar but i don't know where to start. i don't want to buy a real expensive one, so any cheap websites will be appreciated.

anyway, my main query was about the amplifier. in my room i have a sony mini system with 100 W speakers and an active (self amped) 110W Subwoofer. i was wondering if it's possible to connect a bass to this and use it instead of an amp. the speakers would be more powerfull than any amplifier's i can afford and the sub will help a lot, or will do all the work, depending on how i set it up.

firstly, is there any risk of blowing the amp in the minisystem? and the speakers?

secondly, will the sub be able to play all the notes on a four string bass? it plays frequencies between 200 and 25hz.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    A long as you keep your volume low you will not blow up a stereo in normal use.

There is one "real" system used to measure amplifier output- watts RMS. It's very trendy for stereo manufacturers to use "peak music power" and some other witchcraft-marketing-based systems of measurement. I have a small stereo from a reputable manufacturer that supposedly makes 300 watts although the UL label indicates it only pulls about 120 watts from the wall- go figure how they do that.

Stereo speakers are MUCH less sensitive that bass amp speakers typically and so need more power to get the same volume.

Don't be surprised if a 50w RMS bass amp runs away from your more powerful stereo.

Use the search feature here and you will learn lots of about amps and cheap starter gear. Buy used to start.

3. rudeboymcc

rudeboymcc

Apr 6, 2003
    about the speakers needing being less sensitive, can't i just use the sub?