1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie needs to learn.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fetfet, Sep 6, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Hello

I've been on the bass guitar forums for a while, but this is the first time i've been on the DB forums.

I'm looking to pick up the double bass for an audition, and was wondering if it was worth it to TRY and learn a few pieces by January, or if i should try another instrument. I'l probably end up renting a cheap upright, and might save up for an EUB. But i'm wondering if it's worth it to learn, or should i pick up a different instrument.

Also, please suggest some beginner difficulty pieces that would be good to audition with.

Thank you to anyone who helps.

2. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    Have you ever played one of these bad boys before? You playing with a bow or fingerstyle or both. Is it classical or jazz or what kind of audition are you auditioning for? I take it you play Electric Bass. I think if you want to learn DB do it. If you want to learn somethign else do it. I guess first say what you are auditioning for and it will help a lot.

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'm auditioning to get into a school, and there is no set audition piece. I've played an upright bass a few times, and mostly i've played my favourite electric bass lines on them. I'd like to play arco, but i think i'd better stick to pizz right now. It would be fun to play some jazz/fusion pieces, and some of Bach's Cello suite no.6. I can read the bass clef ok, but i might need to improve on that.

4. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    I suggest if you wanna get into a school for one, get private lessons and your teacher will answer all your questions/give you material to audition/help you play them good enough for your audition. I took private lessons for a month before my audition to get into university mind you though I had already been playing for a while before and I can read very well. Trust me playing on a cheap bass isn't always the best idea because a lot of them do not have any sustain if you're playing pizz for example. When I auditioned I had a **** of a bass and I'd have to cut notes that were held through 2 bars down to 1 bar due to the very little sustain. My private lessons teacher really basically gave me all I needed to know in terms of what they are looking for when you audition and what to focus on in a song and practice techniques that give you the advantage of learning a song faster. http://www.amazon.com/60-Melodic-Etudes-John-Patitucci/dp/0825857058 I suggest that book if you probably want something pizz to play. I auditioned a peice from that book. It's not a book just for pizz and it's not a book just for upright. It's for bow or pizz and electric bass. Really recommend that book for you.

Make sure you get a good private instructor too thats been through the ropes. Luckily my teacher is the bass teacher of that university. I can tell you being able to sight read is one of the biggest skills you'll end up needing to develop. What kind of school is it might I ask?

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll try to pick up that book ASAP, right after i find a teacher.

I'm auditioning for an arts high school, and i need to submit my application in November, but the audition isn't until January. So i'm hoping i can learn a little bit by that time. I'm hoping(pleading) that some of my electric bass training will help with my upright playing

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    dear fetfet,
    thank you very much for your thread-title.
    finally i can post this picture without being (hopefully) disrespectful...:)

7. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    You can get really good if you wanna put the time into it. Try practicing for 1-3 hours or so a day and if you are really ambitious 3-5 hours. Not all at once but in segments.

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
  9. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    What is the requirement for the audition? Is DB required or not?

If it is required, you have your answer. If DB is not required, I would likely prepare in two ways: keep going on EB and working on Jazz tunes for the audition that way, but also start to add DB into your practice/preparations so that if you're comfortable enough by January with the DB, then you can use that as an option, or if you aren't comfortable, you can still audition successfully on EB, and haven't "put all your eggs in the DB basket" so to speak.

Good luck with it.

DB or EUB worth it? Of course, it is worth it to learn, but your main and first goal is a successful audition as access to the school. Do that, and DB and EUB and whatever else you want to do can follow. Unless of course, it's required for entry...

10. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I can't actually audition on Electric, it says in the forms, but i'd like to use my knowledge of bass. It can technically be for any instrument besides piano, guitar or electric bass

11. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    The admission requirements do not specify whether you can or cannot audition on EB, or whether DB is required for the audition, desipte the statement that students cannot specialize in EB.

I'd make a quick call to the school/place and clarify this, pronto.

12. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Hmmm, maybe somehow I missed that?

13. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I think it's just the part about specializing, and if you can't specialize in it, you can't learn it. This is just my resoning.

14. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    Definitely looks like what I auditioned for. Exact same requirements. I'd say play a peice with a bow and without. I'm guessing the school is to study classical and maybe jazz. It looks more directed for orchestrated playing which then you'd definitelly need to learn how to play with a bow and definitely audition a peice with a bow. For my audition I played one with a bow and one without. Try to show a wide range as in playing up high in thumb position and your ability to feel the dynamics of the song such as if doing a repeat maybe play it dynamically different then the way you played it the first time through. You have a lot to learn. Have you done you're theory stuff yet?

15. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Which theory stuff?

If you mean for the audition, all of the audition takes place on january 16, including the theory.

And does anybody have any suggestions for an arco or pizz piece?

I was thinking a classic jazz tune like Satin Doll, and a klezmer tune for arco. What do you think of that?

16. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    What I played was. Gavotte I think its in G minor By J.S. Bach for my Arco one and from that book I recommended you I did it`s litalary titled "C Major Scale." It's nothing to hard and if you play it right and get all the detail and have good intonation then it's a definite in.

It says you need RCM Grade 1 Rudiments by September 2008. Do you have that?

17. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I do not, but i'm pretty sure it says the equivalent of the RCM rudiments. and although i don't know exactly what they are, i'm sure i can learn them. And if not, i might still rent and play upright. It looks fun, and could expand my gig choices in the future.

18. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    Ha get crackin.

19. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Of course.

Any suggestions for a beginner URB or EUB?

20. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    If you are allowed to use an amp and an EUB, then cool, you have choices. If not, then URB it must be. The EUB is more playable in a way, and sounds different than URB. Not better or worse, just different.

As much as a choice for electric bass is a personal thing, I believe an URB or EUB are even more so, and therefore cannot recommend any in specific, but would just mention trying out as many as you can get your hands on.