Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie on Catus Firmus

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by RhythmBassist01, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    hi, newbie here.

What is Cantus Firmus? And how do you use it?

Thank you replys.

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I studied theory in college but I probably spent more time studying buttus firmus when I should have been paying more attention to the music :D

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oxford Dictionary of Music :

Cantus Firmus (Lat.) Fixed Song.

A melody usually taken from plainsong, used by composers in 14-17C as the basis of a polyphonic composition and against which other tunes are set in counterpoint.

So...it's basically "ornamenting" an existing liturgical tune to create a new polyphonic piece, using counterpoint - this was when all music was vocal, sacred and usually just a single melody line.

Polyphony was an amazing novelty then! ;)

5. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Thank you.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Just learning Counterpoint you see.

excuse my spelling - Cantus Firmus.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    buttus firmus...

7. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    And that is why I'm at the wrong website.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    It's just that while learning theory based on the Renaissance and Baroque eras is interesting it has little to do with the practical aspect of playing the bass which in my experience is what this forum is all about. I'm sure there are other sites that are better suited to your interests.

9. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    The 'Cantus firmus' was a small tool used by monks in medieval times to improve the sonic qualities of their singing. It supposedly increased the tone of the chanting, making it more 'firm'. Hence the name 'Cantus Firmus', loosly translated : 'Singing Strengthener'.

The tool itself comprised of 2 short metal bars inserted in a wooden block. The device was based on the principles of 'sympathetic vibration', and the resonating of the bars was said to increase the tonal warmth as well as projection.

For centuries this technology was lost. However, recent archeological finds in the western regions of Slovenia uncoved the only surviving unbroken 'cantus firmus'. Åpo VanEvers was the chief archeologist, and, as luck had it, a semi-professional Öktökö player, a native Slovenian instrument. When he played his Ötökö in the precence of the Cantus Firmus, he was astounded at the sudden richness and clarity of tone.

He decided at that very instant to create the 'Pocket Rocket', a modern version of the device, based on the same principles of the Cantus Firmus, but with the benefit of 21st century engineering and laboratory testing.

Get your own tone-improving fandabulous modern cantus firmus, thanks to vanevers.com, here. Your Ötökö (or any other sound producing instrument) will sound better than ever possible before.

Enjoy!

10. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Was that pseudo code for "you're at the wrong website"

I think not.

11. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Thanks for your reply.

I have since learnt the cantus firmus is used in tearching Counterpoint.

12. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    No code here. You'll be frustrated trying to learn baroque theory on Talkbass.com. Hope that clarifies things.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Very loosely!!

As in.... completely wrong!! ;)

14. How about "hook, line & sinker", Bruce? ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well it was obviously a joke - but that was the only slightly feasible part, if you don't know Latin!!

But I was just pointing out that ... very loosely - would have to be strained to breaking point!! :D

16. But it was a good post from Macarthy was is it not? - well I enjoyed it at least.

17. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Yes, thank you.

There are people interested in talking about various theory topics,

and those who are not. Futhermore, those who are not interested in

talking about various theory topics, like to provoke others with off topic posts.

So it seems my job is to ignore the "provoking off-topic" posts

So, thanks for the clarification.

Also, you are wrong about Cantus Firmus being an "out-dated" techinque, which is what you're implying??

It's already been established that counterpoint is instructed in present day music college.

This post clearly shows that Cantus Firmus was instructed in music college.

It also shows that the talkbass member did not pay any attention to it.

Which is quite alright. If you're not interested, why both learning it?

18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    This post does not clearly show that cantus firmus was instructed in music college.

This post does clearly show that some members do not have a sense of humor. :)

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D

20. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    define "sense of humour"

Also, you posted off topic, thereby hyjacking this thread to an off topic disscussion.