Newbie one last question on new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Sep 13, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    Even being a beginneer would it be a bad idea to purchase 2x10 or a 15x1 cabinet and amp as a first amp combo set? :bassist:
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, it really depends on your circumstances.

Have a search, there are a LOT of threads on this topic.
  3. Wow a 15x1. It would look like that monster from Monty Python!

OK sorry for the drift. It's crazy up in my head. Anyways, about the amp, I'm a huge advocate of buying the best amp stuff you can afford. Almost any bass can sound good through a good rig, but even the nicest basses sound bad through a bad rig, and there's no way around that. If you can afford a nice 1x12 (Aguilar GS112) or 2x10, or even a 2x12, you should do it. There are some nice combos out there if you want to go that route, but a head and cabs are the best way to go in my opinion.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope, not a bad idea. If you have to choose between the two, you'll need to determine what kind of tone you desire. That will have an impact on what cab you decide on. If possible, but them both. :D

5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I will agree and disagree with the above. I think that ANY bass WILL NOT necessarily sound good through a good amp. I believe a good amp can reveal short comings in a bass, however I do agree that you almost cannot go wrong with aguilar cabs. aguilar electronics are another story. I believe they are great for great basses, my bass was o.k. and thats what it sounded like, OK, next to some boutique basses like modulous and sadousky's. maybe it was because mine is a passive.

to answer the primary question, no a 210 and 115 would not necessarily be a bad Idea. because you'd have a 210 for smaller gigs and a 115 for the bigger gigs when you need it. also don't forget to get enough power. I'd say 400w into 4ohms minimum, 1000w would be great.
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used a 2x10 + 1x15 rig for a while (still have it, need to sell it to open up some space in here!) when I picked up bass again. It's a great rig, and probably loud enough for most occassions. When you get to the huge guitar stack stage, you might need some type of fridge looking setup.

I was using an Avatar 2x10, and an ebay SWR 1x15- both pretty inexpensive.
  7. kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    Thanks all for the feedback. I will look into a 2x10 cab and a amp and purchase 1x15 later when become better player. What is a good amp to with 2x10 setup without go too expensive? :bassist: