Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Packages?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redmang, Apr 21, 2004.

1. redmang

redmang

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm interested in picking up the bass guitar, but I don't have exorbitant amounts of money to spend right now. A couple of friends who are relatively experienced (4-5 years of guitar experience) recommend that I start with a package for now, namely this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1573727/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510991/

Any opinions on that? If I do decide to make the purchase, it wouldn't be until summer, so don't worry about me making hasty decisions or anything. So is it a good package? Is it a good idea in general? Should I opt for something else? Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. Well, $299,- is not that much. But keep in mind that you will not be able to rock with your friends with a mini amp like that. For practice purposes on the other hand, no problem at all. Also, a P-bass model like this Squier will not be the most versatile instrument, it has only 1 sound. But on the other hand, it could also be all the sound you need.
    You could also consider a used bass and used amp. You're not in a hurry, so check Ebay regularly, you will see some good deals coming by.

3. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!
    i started out by buying the squire p-bass pack and i really liked it. ray-r is right though. you will have to get another amp for jamming with your friends. but jamming at home when youre bored or with acoustic guitars the 15 watt amp is plenty. good practice amp. i think i paid about $300 out the door and i was very happy with the quality of both the bass and the amp. i did put new strings on it though. have fun, and if you do choose a pack, i think you'll be happy with the squire. its cheap but not the cheapest!! also way to go on choosing the bass! well done! :D

4. i think that would be throwing the money out the window... you can get a better combo for half the price... sx p or j from rondomusic.com for like 100 and change, used crate bx-15 off ebay for less than 50... some times less than 30... i wouldnt screw with those beginner combos because they are pretty crappy and eventually you will want to sell them and then you will be takin a good loss

5. redmang

redmang

Apr 21, 2004
    Thanks for the replies, all. I'm not too worried about the amp, since I'd mostly be practicing and playing for myself at this point. I'll definitely look into upgrading later if I decide that my skills have improved enough to make use of better equipment. Egotistical recommended SX. Any other opinions on that?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Ibanez pack is pretty good too. Amp is trash, but that can go. It's got a slim neck, small body and looks cool. The bass is solid, good for upgrading later if you want, but sounds good for a while.

7. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    :) Keep in mind that you really should keep away from a nicer bass if you are jsut starting out. I went so cheap ($80) on my first bass because I was afraid that I wouldn't like it. You dont want to buy a $500 bass and then find out you dont like it. :bassist:

8. My suggestion would be any one of these starter packs. Don't limit yourself to just the Squier pack, check out some others first!

http://www.all-bass-guitars.com/

WELCOME to TB!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    IMO you can get better for less elsewhere. Squires aren't much unless you get lucky, and amps like that are only really good for bedroom practice. Something like an Essex bass and a used Peavey amp, perhaps.

10. redmang

redmang

Apr 21, 2004
    CrapBass, isn't the Squier I was looking at pretty low-end already? I'm thinking the same thing as you, that I shouldn't blow my money on a superb bass right now, and I thought that Squier package was a pretty cheap way to go.

And Foster, do you recommend any of those other starter packs over the Squier one? I really have no idea how to tell which is better than another, and am relying on word-of-mouth right now.

Also, a lot of people seem to be saying to forgeting packages and just look for a nicer but used bass and amp. Where would be a good place to look?

Keep the comments coming :bassist:

11. If I had to choose from the starter packs, I would go for the Squier but that's just me!

redmang, to be completely honest with you..... I would forgo the packages and purchase a used MIM Fender Jazz or P bass. They play better than a Squier, are versatile, resale value is higher and you can find one all day long for 200.00 bucks used on Ebay or the classified sections on many bass forums!

Then I would look for a good used Combo amp, maybe a Peavey, GK, SWR, something like that.

This of course would get you started for about $400.00 +..... twice the price of a starter pack but nicer to play.

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. another alternative would be to start off with a sx bass or whatever you want and a headphone amp, like a pocket rock-it or something of that nature... that way its something you can use in the future even after you get a better amp... lots of these headphone amps have lines in for cd players and thats a pretty usefull feature to have

13. redmang

redmang

Apr 21, 2004
    Which SX bass would you recommend for a beginner, Egotistical? Or anyone?

14. redmang

redmang

Apr 21, 2004
    Okay, I'll definitely consider getting the SX. And you recommended a Peavey amp? Would you say the 20W one is good enough, since I'll mostly just be practicing and stuff? And where's a good place to find used equipment?