Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie: Pick or Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Heavy_E, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    I am a new Bass player. Do most Bass players use a pick or their fingers? I know it sounds like a dumb question... I guess it depends on what style your playing... Thanks for the help... :confused:

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Most use fingers, many use pick, and some use both.

Learn to play with your fingers. Its a bit more dificult at first, but in the end you will be able to do things you couldnt do with a pick.

It is safe to experiment with a pick, but I would encourage you to start off only with your fingers untill you are really comfortable.

Use your index and middle finger alternating between the two to develop olid technique and timing, and you can even learn to use your other fingers later.

Peace
    Nick

3. also, you get a different sound.
    Fingers = blended, thumpier sound
    pick = sharp, accented sound

you should play with whatever suits you best, thought i like the sound of fingers better.:D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use both, but make fingers your main tool.
    Most playing situations call for it, and you'll regret it later if you've never learned it.
    For me it's 90+% fingers, less than 10% pick.

5. i mostly use fingers now, but i started with a pick. i usually play fingers 70%, pick 30%

6. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    picks are cool to play around with sometimes. picks seem to be a pain in the neck sometimes tho, my guitarist friends are always complaining that they forget their picks, but my fingers are always with me.
    :D
    plus i like the sound better
    ;)

7. Depends on the sound you want. Work on both now, getting good tones from both. Don't skip out on finger technique if it lacks, and you just feel like playing with a pick instead. I'd say keep them even for a few months of play, then decide which fits better and such, and work on that one more, but still keep the other in your routine.

8. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I only use picks when im trying to acheive a certain sound. For example, if I play a song like Working Man ( Yeah I know Geddy doesnt use a pick but I love the tone I can get with one) I will use a pick. But if I have to sing and play at the same time I always use fingers. For example I have to sing and play Roundabout at the same time, so I use fingers (Yes I know Squire uses a pick :D )

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I play with my fingers almost exclusively, but I always use a pick when recording in a studio. It allows for a certain level of precision in the recorded sound. There always seems to be less extraneous noise (Fretboard, string noise, etc.)

Also, a pick is indispensible for certain kinds of rock music, especially if you want to get flashy and do runs up and down the neck. (Ex. - Deep Purple's "Highway Star")