1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

newbie pickup question..P/J>humbucker??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gkman1, Nov 4, 2006.

1. gkman1

gkman1

Apr 5, 2006
    I did do a search, but didn't find any posts with my situation. I recently put together a bass....Fender P/J body. Lindy Fralins P/J set, I thought I would be happy with the pups but can't get the sound that I'm use to with my other bass. My other bass is a Yamaha with Alnico magnet humbucking soapbar active 3 band pups...my question is: I'd like to keep the body that I have.....do they make active humbucking pickups that are the same shape as the P/J bass pickups?? I'd like to just swap out the pickups without having to replace the body too.....just was wondering if this is possible...Thanks for the help!!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Precision pickup is a split humbucker unto itself.

The Jazz pickup can be singlecoil or humbucking, depending on the individual pickup.

The term humbucker is a very broad category and refers to nothing other than the fact that it is wound opposite itself to cancel hum.

Pickup positioning and shape have a lot to do with the tone you'll get.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The soapbar style humbucking pickups sound quite a bit different from the P pickup, which is also a humbucking pickup. If you want the sound you got with your Yamaha, you'd have to put that pickup in your P, and since the routing doesn't match, you'd have a bit of work to do in routing out a new mounting cavity and covering up the mess.

I have an Ibanez with two humbucking pickups (sort of Musicman style) and with the neck pickup soloed, I can get a sound very close to my 78 P with Basslines Quarter Pounder, using the same Thomastic flats on both. It's certainly close enough for live gigs and it records very nicely too. But I'm sure the Ibanez pickup sounds a fair bit different to your Yamaha.