1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Pickup Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 23, 2015.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I haven't played bass for....let's see... decades. So other than feel and my personal listening experience I know next to nothing. I've been wanting a bass for awhile now and found a used 2010 Squier VM 70's Jazz bass that felt really good in my hands. They said it had "upgraded pickups" but couldn't tell me what they were.

I was curious so pulled them out to see. Installed in the neck position was a label "JB101B (bridge 1006)" and in the bridge position an umarked pickup, but the base plate looked nearly identical but nothing really saying what it was. I know from the marking that whatever is in the neck is a Seymour Duncan, but beyond that I know nothing more.

I guess the questions concern what these pickups might comparable to and if I wanted to change them out what could I buy that would be a REAL and reasonable upgrade for a used bass that cost less than $200? At this point it is not critical because I have to get a decent bass amp first, but I want to be able to plan and budget.

Thanks in advance.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    That is a nice looking and sounding bass. I am a person that typically likes to change out pickups including a Fender MIA Jazz which were bla sounding at best. I had a Fendet American Special Jazz and a Squier 60's Classic Vibe that I kept the stock pickups in. My point being that your bass already sounds good so why change?

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Vm jazz with Duncan design pickup sound nice, if you prefer old school get a pair of custom shop 60' pup ; prefer scoop sound and slapping night and day, must get the dimarzio ultra jazz.yes, ultra jazz is hum-canceling pup. Cs60 will hum when just sound with single pup.

thebassbuilder likes this.
  4. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure yet what I like or how my bass style is going to develop. I don't even have a decent bass amp to play through yet. I'm just trying to get a handle on what I already have (perplexed by a bridge pickup in the neck position and a nondescript pickup in the bridge).

One of the main reasons I got the bass is to be able to lay down a bass track on recordings. When I was actively playing bass as a kid it wasn't nearly the art that it is today. Think Paul McCartney and you know what I'm talking about. I've been watching some bass players recently and absolutely blown away.

Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else?

5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Those Duncan Design pickups sound good. Pickup sound is very subjective, but, one thing to note......Spending $ on pickups doesn't automatically mean the instrument will sound better to you. I would be very interested in what an amp could do for the sound if I were in your shoes, it's gonna make the largest difference of anything overall. People do use that bass as is for recording, it's not a bad starting point at all...... Sorry I just read the pickups were changed. The first step IMO is still an amp that sounds good.

LoveThatBass and Yahboy like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I recommand you get a nice working amp first, don't waste your time and money for swap pickup to get your right-tone with small practice amp.

Your VM jazz stock pickup sound nice with Rumble 200 or 500 actually.

LoveThatBass likes this.