1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEWBIE: Plateau...arg

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by znegative, Apr 7, 2009.

1. znegative

znegative

Feb 21, 2009
    Okay...so I have now been playing for almost 3 months. I have hit a plateau. The stuff I know, I know well, however, in the last week, I have not made any progress. I play at least two hours a day...everyday, but again...no progress. I think I need to switch things up a bit to make a leap forward. Any suggestions?

Oh...what do I do during those two hours? Start off with a few different scales to warm up, then play the few songs I know over and over again...then when I feel like it's time to put it down...(or I have to go do something else soon) I make stuff up and record it. Usaully only a few bars or so..nothing really complete. Then, IF I have time, I might tab it out using guitarpro.

Any advice, to help me move ahead, would be appreciated !
    Thanks
    Z

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Learn Rush. It has kept me busy for the last 4 years.

3. znegative

znegative

Feb 21, 2009
    WOW...THAT would shake things up a bit! LOL Not sure if I'm ready for that or not. OF course it wouldn't hurt to give it a go would it?

4. beardo

beardo

Jan 16, 2009
    Find something to keep you challenged. Be that a different style, new scales, learning to read bass. Or there's new techniques to learn like slap, or playing with a pick (or fingers if you already play with a pick).

I recommend the Hal Leonard "Bass Method" book, get the 3 volume combined edition. I play everything with a simple drum machine, start out at 60 bpm, and try to get the notes exactly on, and speed up from there. I move on to the next exercise when I get bored or hit 120 bpm. Once I've got it down, I practice with the CD until I'm comfortable. I only get maybe 30 minutes every other day to play, so it's taken me 2 and 1/2 months to get to page 36.

What you're doing (playing the songs you know over and over again) is like playing the first level of Super Mario Bros. over and over again. It gives you something to do, and you become really good at it, but you're not really moving forward.

5. xzzy

xzzy

Mar 6, 2009
    I had a teacher tell me once that when you start getting bored, that's when you're on the verge of learning something new.

I never got a straight answer whether this was because the boredom motivated me to find something to learn, or because being bored causes the brain to process information to create something new. But it sure seems to be true.. whenever I get into a rut and sit down with an instrument, then start experimenting, eventually something interesting comes out of it.

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Instructor...that is all.

Really though you haven't plateaued you just don't know what to work on...an instructor will.

and yeah I would say start learning theory, then worry about technique, but that's just me.

7. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    lol get ready your gonna many plateaus in your career as a musician. Just keep plugging away, and have fun.

8. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Wise words indeed. in 10 years if playing I have hit a number of plateus, they happen, just like in diets, so keep at it. In fact I'm kinda stuck my self too......gonna go try some Rush.

9. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    learn how to play the bass and sing at the same time. then learn music theory, scales, arpeggios, dynamics, etc etc that will be enough to keep you busy for a few months even years.

10. My approach to this stall has always been to put the axe down for a while(3 months once) and start to watch others styles and also do alot of book studing to improve on the knowledge. When you come back to the axe(try to make atleast it a week) you will have a new view/angle/idea's about your playing. If this is not your cup of tea There is always forced learning(pick something above your level and try your best to excell as fast/accurate as possible). Not always the best method, But sometime forcing yourself to forge ahead even without a clear view of a goal opens up new avenues. And as said before everyone gets stale from time to time, It's those of us who keep on keeping on that continue to enjoy the progress along with the challenges.