Newbie - Practice Need Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kalo, Jul 29, 2003.

1. kalo

Jul 29, 2003

I am new to this forum and finding awesome...I have been playing bass for 6 months. I recently start taking lesson!!! I have picked the bass up extermley quick..I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!! I was wondering if someone can give me some advise on how to practice efficently....Here is what I do:

Warm up with Scale exercises Major, and Minor,and Blues scales, as well as Major, Minor, 7th chord arpeggio.

Sight Read (learning how)

Working on playing songs by ear

Sighting reading songs, that teacher has given me.

I only have two hours a night to practice and in the mornings I practice a 1/2 hour. Can some give me some advise...I heard it said that it's not how long one practices it's the quality of practice....Thanks in Advance
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Welcome to Talkbass. I admire your enthusiasm. :)

There have been lots of threads previously on practice routines and such. Check this out:

As I always say, you need to find a routine that works for you. You have to figure out what you need to get done within the time you have to practice; and make sure you're benefitting from it.

Good luck. :)
  3. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    THANKS Stephanie!!! Nice to talk to a female bass player...I am one myself....Who are your influences? I would someday like to work professionally....My influences are flea, jaco, p-nut, victor wooten.....I just love playing my bass alot!!!!! I will look on the post you suggested!!!
  4. efcleff

Jan 20, 2003
    sounds to me like you're doing just fine. Remember to practice your mechanics also. Things like fretting, finger dexterity, sounding the note properly, muting, etc. One thing I like to do is what I call 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4 excercises. Basically, your fretting hand fingers are numbered 1-4 (index=1,middle=2,ring=3,pinky=4)
    Practice starting at the G# on the first fret of the G string.Fret the G# with finger 1 and the A ( FRET 2-G string)with finger 2. Then with finger 1 go up to the D# and bring finger 2 up and fret the E, keep going up to the F and F# of the E string( stay in the first two frets)eventually your dexterity will improve.Then try it using your index and ring finger (1-3), remember now you'll be fretting the first and third frets, go up AND down the strings. Now do 1-4 (first and fourth frets) you get the idea.2-3, 2-4 and 3-4 will be more difficult, but you sound like you'll be o.k.
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Damn, your current routine is miles ahead of mine,(which isn't much,) yet you still ask for more...That's a good sign.
  6. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks Efcleff!!! Great exercises that I will try tonight as a part of my practice!!!! I also practice with a metronome as well...Your exercise sound AWESOME!!!! I am so glad to have found this site!!!!
  7. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi Kalo,

I usually don't look to many other bassists as influences (though you can check my profile to see some of them. I also like all the ones you listed.). My favorite type of music (though I love all types of music. Everything and anything.) is ambient/dark ambient/soundscapes/space music-type of stuff. That and basic life and nature influence me the most. Anything atmospheric.

I would also love to play professionally. Preferably as a solo artist.

Practice. Practice. Practice. :)
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    This is a few routines I was trying to work out when I had 2 hours a day to practice.

Substitue the method books for ones you might have.

practice routine/time alotment