1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Question About Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by datanoh, Oct 20, 2009.

1. datanoh

datanoh

Oct 20, 2009
    Really I need to just educate myself about amp electronics, but I am hoping somebody will humor me with an answer to this question.

My understanding is that it is NOT a good idea to play a bass guitar through a standard guitar amp (risk of amp damage).

Does the same apply to playing a bass through other audio interfaces, such as playing it directly through a mixer with no amp at all? Or is that safe?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It won't hurt the mixer, but if that mixer isn't connected to an amp and that amp to speakers you won't hear anything.
    The difference between guitar and bass amps lies mainly in the speakers; guitar speakers aren't designed to handle bass.

3. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    You can play a bass through a guitar head. And you can play that guitar head through a guitar cabinet. Lemmy from motörhead does it. and so do alot of old bands. Now if you like the sound of that? It's up to you.

Now if you play through a mixer in to a PA at a club it will be fine. But if you don't have a monitor on stage you might not hear yourself. It's safe.

4. Guitar amps and cabs are generally not made to handle such low frequencies, nor are they made to stay clean at high volumes... they are made to break up/distort in a pleasing way so as to give nice compressed overdrive and distortion tones. If that is what you are looking for, then yes a guitar amp could work just fine for you