1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie question about fingering

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AttackDonut, Jul 12, 2003.

1. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    I am just starting to take lessons, and the first lesson was using two fingers to pluck the strings.

So far, so good, I am supposed to use the tips of my fingers, but not the fingernails.

Question is this: If I pluck the strinfgs with my fingernails, it is easier for me and I feel that I am more accurate.

I haved always had iron hard fingernails, and breaking them has never been a problem.

What are the downsides to using my fingernails, or should I really stick with working with the tips of my fingers?

2. I would learn how to use your fingers, so that you have that techiqnue is at your disposal.

The only downside that I know of this that the strings can destroy your fingernails, apparently.

Also, i think that your tone would be more rounded using your fingers.

welcome to tb, rock on! :D

3. I don't like the sound that I get from playing with longer fingernails, too twangy, and the feeling of pulling up on a nail kinda puts my teeth on edge. A good point about nails is that you can get artificial harmonics to be heaps clearer than if you just use your fingertip.

As for wrecking fingernails, I think you may find they'll get worn down and may break as a result of that. The strings are harder and will probly be grind away but that will depend on how you pull your nails across the strings.

Josh D