Newbie Question about "Hammer-on"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jemma, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jemma

Feb 22, 2004
    Hi everyone,

I have searched all over the web for this but cannot find it or what I do find does a very poor job of explaining. Most sites I find assume I already know what it is.

I am wondering how to 'hammer-on' I am trying to play a few songs that require it. Example - how would I play this:

RH - Right hand hammer-on
    LH - Left hand hammer-on

A-RH15--RH12--RH13--- |

Any help would be awesome!

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you post in General Instruction you will likely get more answers. :) Hammer ons are simple you hitting the string with the fretting finger but not plucking with the right hand. There are some videos on the web site of this technique. You may want to look through their site and see what you find.

Hopefully a kind moderator will move this thread for you so you can get some good results.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never seen a right hand hammer on i dont think? And thats a weird way of tabbing a hammer on as well..... hmmph.
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Think tapping....and I agree with the second statement.

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, tapping.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    why would that octave part need to be tapped? wouldn't it be easier to play it normally?
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Also, using the right hand for the lower part seems goofy to me (unless you're left-handed). And shouldn't the expression "hammer-on" be used only when there's already note being fretted below the one being played? Otherwise it's just a "tap", no? And a note on the 14th fret that follows a note on the 17th fret on the same string can never be a hammer-on. If anything, it's a pull-off.

An unnecessarily complicated, and I think objectively incorrect, TAB. Don't play it like that. Find a better TAB or play something else.