Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Question about my Amp Options.Thank you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bonafide, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I am sorry if this has been beaten to death already.
    I am new the Bass Forum. I am going to purchase a a new Ashdown EVO500 or 900 head this week. I have played them and really like the reponse and flexibility. I really would like to know from other bass professionals if I should be looking at some other options. Not 'better' choices but equal choices.
    I have looked at the Peavey, and Ampeg as well as Eden stuff but there are too many models all around the same price. Solid State is fine, Tube is fine. A hybrid like the Aguilar is also fine. Great tone is the goal of course. Musical style is primarily R&B and Rock. Basses vary.

Thank you very much for any suggestion.
    Cheers.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    What are you powering with the head? That will help dictate your wattage.

Eden.

3. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks for the reply.
    Actually I will purchase the cabinet based on my head purchase.
    When I played the Ashdown I played it through an Ashdown 4x10 cab. Not the MAG series but the other one.
    I also played it through a higher end SWR cab, don't remember the model and both sounded great.
    I need at least 500 SS watts and would prefer more.
    Thanks again for your help.

4. How much are you willing to spend on the head alone?

5. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Thanks again. I Have $1200.00 available right now for a head. More is possible but it would have to wait. I have about $700.00 available for my first cab.
    Hope that helps. Thanks.

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Well, Aguilars are really expensive, and as for
    Eden, you can get like a WT-500 for that much. It can get cheaper than that, but that all depends on your bargaining skills:D