1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie Question about Peavey MAX 126

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rlgph, Oct 10, 2013.

1. rlgph

rlgph

Oct 10, 2013
    Hi all -- first post. I jam with a group of late beginner / early intermediate, totally acoustic musicians -- 3 guitars (me being one) & 2 (bluegrass) banjos. We play almost exclusively for ourselves -- no gigging.

We occasionally have trouble hearing the beat with this mix, so i volunteered to learn to play bass guitar to provide a clear beat and to provide some bottom to our mix. I bought an Ibanez Mikro bass, and i'd like to get a light weight amp that i can comfortably carry to our jams. I'm thinking about the Peavy MAX 126 or the Ibanez 10B, and would like your opinion as to whether a 10 watt bass amp has sufficient power for my fellow jammers to hear the bass clearly over their own instruments. Remember, the bass will be the only amplified instrument.

Thanks for your insight.

2. Depends how loud the guitars are. The fact that it's a solid state 10W, I'd hazard a guess and say no. I have the 15 watt version of that amp and it very barely cut the mustard with two guitarists playing at indoor levels.

EDIT: D'OH, just read that it's all acoustic. You should be able to hold up decently provided everyone is considerate with their playing.

3. rlgph

rlgph

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks for your comment. Any others?

4. Banjos can get pretty loud. I'd want something more like a 25w myself, but that's cause I would want to know I didn't have to run the thing full blast to be heard.

Headroom is always good.

Sweetwater has the 25w Ampeg BA-108 right now for a hundred, so you're not talking about spending a lot more.

5. rlgph

rlgph

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks for your comment. I actually did buy a BA-108 from Sweetwater after reading comments/reviews from members of this forum, but i was surprised and a little intiidated by its size and weight, and was wondering whether i could get by with the Peavey (which has a third of the weight) in our all acoustic group. But you're right -- the banjos do get pretty loud.