Newbie question ---> adjusters

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Tronictq, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Hey all, well i just got this new carved bass to try out. It has aluminum adjusters on the bridge...... now are they supposed to be able to turn freely with the hand? Cause they don't.

2. Yes, they are supposed to turn freely. Take it back and insist that they repair the bridge adjusters. And...Don't use anything but your fingers to turn them.
  3. You aren't, by chance, trying to adjust the bridge without first taking most of the tension off your strings, are you?
  4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Tune down a major third or so, hombre. Take tension off, but not all the way off -- you don't want the sound post to fall down.

Good luck!
  5. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Alright.... i'm still kind of new to this world. Thanks for the input, and for your curiousity, no i wasn't tuning down.... kind of common sense i guess....

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Actually, if the adjusters are well installed and lubed, detuning is not necessary.
  7. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Lubed? What do you lube them with?
  8. Most commonly with powdered graphite or Paraffin wax for metal adjusters. Paraffin wax and talcum powder for ebony/wood adjusters.

There is an article titled Helpful Hints for Installing Shen Bass Bridge Wheels on the Samuel Shen website that describes a slightly different way of installing bridge adjusters. I've tried it and it does work extremely well.