1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie question. Foam mute and string height?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spider-Man, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man Supporting Member

May 13, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    Hello all,

I am exploring different options to muting; sponge, foam, and felt. I found 1/2” thick dense foam from pickup packaging, cut it in 1.5”. When I put the foam under the string, all 4 strings dampened on different levels.

E - not muted at all
    A - foam barely touches the string so makes weird flappy buzzing foam sound in every pluck
    D - Good. A muted sound that I want
    G - string digs into the foam. too much mute. I had to cut a 1/8 deep line? to string to sit on. (still gets muted too much for my taste)

I looked up different mute techniques online, most people just slide in the mute and play. Well, not mine...

I understand that string height can be adjusted with the neck contour but this feels not right lol I had my bass set up about 3 weeks ago. should I take it back and get adjusted?

any thoughts or recommendations?