Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Question for all the vets out there

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paul_mccartney, Oct 15, 2000.

1. What's the difference between distortion, compression and overdrive? I know what distortion is, but compression and overdrive I'm not so keen on. If any of the pros would care to enlighten me....

Thanks in advance.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hello and welcome.

Overdrive is supposed to emulate a valve amplifier driven hard. It 'supposed' to be that 'not clean not dirty' thing that valves do. Overdrive boxes and the like get close. Although that last comment has caused more arguments and flame wars through the ages than anything else. Thanks. :)

Compression is where you play harder but it does not sound louder. (or not as loud as it should be) you can also set them so that anything softer is also pulled up to that volume. You can control it with the knobs. Thats the technical version. :) People get really upset about valves, class A, VCA, soft and hard knee, and whether you should even use them. Forget all that. Use your ears.

3. Mille grazie, Signore CS. Tu sei molto generoso e simpatico.

Sorry, my brain's in Italian mode. But thanks for the help. :)

[Edited by paul_mccartney on 10-18-2000 at 04:00 PM]

4. and here for my great italian skills this means:

Thanks alot, mr. CS. You are very genorous and sympathetic. :D

btw: I don´t know a single word in italian.. :)

and welcome to the board..

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Brego I think without resorting to babelfish.com