Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie question: Jazz vs. Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kristopher, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Hey there. I got a 1999 Stingray and a 2001 MIM Fender Jazz, both stock. I noticed that the strings are a lot tighter on the Stingray even though I have the same flatwound strings on both basses (D'Addario chromes).

I'm just wondering why there's that difference between the two? Like how is it possible? And what can I do to get that same tight feeling from the strings on the Jazz?

Thanks!

2. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm stumped by the same phenomena. I have a Stingray 4 and a MIJ Fender P-J. Both set, as close as possible as far as action goes. Both are strung (stringed?) with Super Slinkys, same gauge, same age, yet the Stingray strings have much more tension.

I've had it narrowed down to maybe the fact that my Fender has a Schaller roller bridge... but now that you bring this up, I wonder if that has nothing to do with it.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bridge design and neck construction are pretty big factors in affecting "percieved" tightness/tension of the string. There is actually no difference in the tension of strings from the nut to the saddle when comparing any two of the same scale length basses. But yes!...I feel it to so let's call it percieved tension. I think EB's massive bridge has alot to due with it.

I noticed a difference in percieved tightness on my MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe when I replaced the standard Fender bent metal bridge for a Leo Quann Badass V. Hard to describe the difference....it's not that the strings felt tighter....they felt "fuller".

-Bazz-

4. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Makes me wonder if I should get a new bridge for the Jazz. As far as upgrades go, that's usually the first place people start anyway, right?

On an unrelated note, I tried replacing the pickguard for the Jazz with a different color and the new Fender replacement didn't fit over my pickups. :confused: It's the right number of screw holes and everything, so I don't know what's going on. I did buy the bass used through Guitar Center but they didn't say there were after-market pickups installed. Strange.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd like to clarify that stock MIA Fender bent metal bridges are totally functional bass bridges. Nothing wrong with them at all and are integral to the "woody" tone of Fenders. I wouldn't say my Badass V is better than the stock bridge...just different.

6. After reading this, I stood up and went over and felt my 'Ray and my MIA '62 RI. I can't really tell a difference between the two if you pull on the strings from the general same spot on each bass in regards to length away from the bridge. If you rest your thumb on the pickup of the 'Ray and the neck pickup of the reissue, you will feel a difference, but that coems from being farther away from the bridge on the reissue.