1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie question on amp input switch for passive or active

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeff62, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Just picked up my first active bass. I get the whole "the input switch on the amp reduces the signal 10db" to account for the stronger output of the active electronics. But what if the active bass is not driving the input signal any harder than my passive bass (with Duncan Antiquity II pickups)? If I leave my amp input switch in the passive mode, my amp is not clipping and the output of at the speakers is the same for both basses. Am I hurting anything?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nope, no harm done. In fact, some people recommend using the "passive" input at all times unless your bass signal really does clip the preamp. A side note: not all amps are designed the same. Some have a different amount of dB pad, and some adjust the input impedance as well, to accommodate the different output impedance of an active bass. You'll just have to rely on the owner's manual to know how your amp is designed.

3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Cool. Thanks for the help. :)