Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie question - pickup position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmantele, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    When I play guitar, it's usually always with the neck pickup. Are there any basses with the neck pickup up close to the neck, like in a guitar? I'd like to think I never see them because it's been tried and it's too boomy, but so much comes down to "That's how Leo did it". I'm thinking of building a bass and trying it with a Jazz pickup, but if there's a production bass out there already designed that way I'd like to try playing one before I cut the pocket for the pickup.
    Thanks.

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Not a bad question.
    Two basses that I can think of the the pickup close to the neck is the EB-3 from Gibson, and the Yamaha attitude, which has a "woofer pickup under the pickguard right against the neck.

And yes, most people think a pickup right against the neck is too boomy, but use in combination with other pickups, it could be done.

[​IMG]

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Fender also made a Telecaster bass back in the day that had a humbucker right at the bottom of the neck, they were supposed to be amazing and a lot of people swear they're the greatest bass ever, I'm still skeptical on that one, but they look cool.

4. When I was a kid (1960s:eek: yes, I am old :D)
    almost all the kids in bands in my neighborhood had Gibson basses: EB-Os, EB-1s or EB-3s. I didn't see too many EB-2s. (the ones that look like ES-335s)

All these basses had humbuckers right at the neck, and many were short scale. I remember at block parties how deep they sounded. At low to mid volume levels they fill up the room like nothing else, but do gey muddy-sounding as the volume goes up, IMHO.

I think they record well too.

I do not know why there were so many Gibbies in my neighborhood, and so few Fenders. :confused:

Mike