Newbie question - pickup position

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmantele, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    When I play guitar, it's usually always with the neck pickup. Are there any basses with the neck pickup up close to the neck, like in a guitar? I'd like to think I never see them because it's been tried and it's too boomy, but so much comes down to "That's how Leo did it". I'm thinking of building a bass and trying it with a Jazz pickup, but if there's a production bass out there already designed that way I'd like to try playing one before I cut the pocket for the pickup.
  2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Not a bad question.
    Two basses that I can think of the the pickup close to the neck is the EB-3 from Gibson, and the Yamaha attitude, which has a "woofer pickup under the pickguard right against the neck.

And yes, most people think a pickup right against the neck is too boomy, but use in combination with other pickups, it could be done.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Fender also made a Telecaster bass back in the day that had a humbucker right at the bottom of the neck, they were supposed to be amazing and a lot of people swear they're the greatest bass ever, I'm still skeptical on that one, but they look cool.
  4. When I was a kid (1960s:eek: yes, I am old :D)
    almost all the kids in bands in my neighborhood had Gibson basses: EB-Os, EB-1s or EB-3s. I didn't see too many EB-2s. (the ones that look like ES-335s)

All these basses had humbuckers right at the neck, and many were short scale. I remember at block parties how deep they sounded. At low to mid volume levels they fill up the room like nothing else, but do gey muddy-sounding as the volume goes up, IMHO.

I think they record well too.

I do not know why there were so many Gibbies in my neighborhood, and so few Fenders. :confused: