Newbie question - RCA in as Line in

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by craigles, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Hey TBers,

This is my first post to this board. It's always been really helpful for me :) ,'s my first question:

I've just bought an AudioTrak Maya soundcard. It comes with 2 RCA-type inputs (1 left, 1 right).

Would it be better to run my bass (via Direct Out from my amp) into an adapter that goes into one of these inputs or both of them?

There is also a 1/8in mic in with preamp, but I don't think I should be using this for line.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use either one for a mono signal, just adjust your mixer and audio program settings accordingly.
    On my Audiophile one input is muted automatically when I arm a mono audio track in Cubase (I can disable this if I want to though), it may be the same with your card. Check which channel is not muted and connect to that one.

You're right, there's no point in using the mic in instead of the line in. The mic preamp will only add noise, and you don't need the gain boost.
  3. Thanks mate,

Tryed it out last night. Worked like a treat!