Newbie Question - Trace Elliot used as preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hollow Dog, Mar 2, 2006.

1. I am getting ready to buy my first real Trace, an AH250 GP 12 SMX (?) I need to know if I can use this as a pre-amp for recording by simply unplugging the speakers? Will it hurt this solid state amp to run it without any load?

I have been playing Bass for 20 + years, and it is time I stepped up to some serious gear.

Tangential Gibson connection. I worked for the Gibson Acoustic Custom Shop from 89 to 94. Built great acoustic guitars, and made my own bass while I worked there.

Have been playing Hartke 3500 for years, ( unfortunately) but after I plugged into a Trace GP7 head last month I knew that I finally found my sound.

Any advice or dire warnings for someone about to buy an SMX? I have lurked and read almost all of the prior Trace Elliot threads, I think I am making a decent choice. I am merely a weekend warrior and I am ready to step up to great tone. What do I need to know as a new Trace convert? :confused:
  2. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Just that they are so great that you might end up wanting to sleep next to it. There are a lot of Trace fans on here (including me) and with good reason.

You can use the DI out to record with whether the speakers are plugged in or not. Trace is just restarting as a company so you probably can't get factory service on it, but afaik British Audio has the schematics online so that's really a moot point.

Good choice!
  3. Thanks, I am drooling with anticipation for the arrival of my new Trace. I will be interested to see what the direct out sounds like when recording. I generally just run direct into board pre-eq when recording, but it my understanding that the direct out on this head is post eq. I may need to use a direct box prior to the input.

Also can't wait to play it at rehearsal and live.
  4. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    You will be very, very happy with your Trace Elliot. The DI should have a pre/post EQ switch on it.
  5. Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree. You'll love it! As Amper said, it should have the switch for Pre or Post EQ.

Here you can find Trace Elliot manuals, schematics, parts, and service:

Oh yea, BTW, welcome to TB! [​IMG]
  7. In looking at the manuals (thanks for the links by the way) it appears that the DI is post eq only. I can work around that. My band has a Yamaha Digital recorder in the practice space, so I will experiment with the DI, or straight through a Radial DI into the board. Whichever sounds best on the recording is fine, I just want that Trace sound in the room.

Now my GAS is kicking in and I'm starting to jones for a new cab or two. What the heck is a schroeder? Is that a European brand?
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You are right. I had to actually go look at my SMX to remember. It was the Series 6 heads that have the switch, DOH!

However, if you noticed, there are three DI's coming out. Here it is quoted from the manual:
    You can run the stereo DI with no problem as it will be mono unless you add stereo effects in the effects loop. If you have stereo effects, you run both.

From what I hear, Schroeders are some great cabs. Sorry but I have no experience with them. I do know they are extremely power hungry though!