Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marineman227, Feb 24, 2004.

1. I'm new to using effects with my bass, normally i just play straight but want to start setting up a decent effects loop and i'm looking into the boss pedals right now. I was just wondering the difference in the mono output and stereo output that they have on 'em. Thanks

2. Mono and Stereo depends on the effect. Usually, things like distortion are mono, but may have another output for the clean signal to pass through unaffected. Delays should have stereo outs so that you can 'ping-pong' the delays between the two. Modulation effects like chorus and flange may have stereo outs which pan the spectrum and make the effect seem wider.

This may be debatable, but as a bassist, the frequencies of bass are omni-directional and are supposed to fill up the whole room. In order to get the most out of stereo effects on bass, you need to bi-amp and spread your cabinets to either side of the stage or something.