Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickBam, May 27, 2004.

1. NickBam

NickBam

May 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Im sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wasnt sure where to put it. I am really interested in learning how to play bass. I just wanted to know what experienced bassists would recommend. What you did when you started playing. I figure start off with a cheap one and go on from there. Thanks alot. If you would like to contact me thru AIM (BamboBini) or email (NickBam54@comcast.net) that would be cool. Thanks.

2. Welcome to Talkbass (I've always wanted to say that :)

Anyway, I'm sorta new to the bass world... I guess now i've been playing for 1 year. But in music for like 10.

So, bass is a very fun instrument for me. I saved up for a pretty good starting one... SR400 Ibanez because i knew i would just want to update in with in a year anyway. but i knew if i got that SR400, than i wouldn't want to get a knew one for like over a year. Get something around $4-600, then as an amp goes, just a nice small cheap one, 15 watts, like an fender bassman thing, or a small Peavy, just to get you started.

Then Practice and have fun :)

*btw, this should have gone on the Miscellaneous forum :)*

3. Sporadic

Sporadic

May 27, 2004
    Well, if you have enough money you might as well get a decent bass, not a cheap one.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Welcome to talkbass!

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hi - welcome to talk bass, dont inflame the natives :D

people say nice things about the Essex(SX) line of basses. We've talked about this alot around here recently, if you try searching (button at the top left of the page) you'll find a wealth of info for very very very beginners right through to pro players.

Try first of all searching for the Essex megathread, youll find all you need to know about good cheap starters there.

6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Ok, this place is full of info. But you gotta dig for it. You need to learn to use the "Search" mode at the top right of your screen. You can limit your search by using the word "and". Searching for things like [cheap and bass]. Or [beginner and bass]. And keep going. You can spend all night just reading threads. Once you find a recommendation for a brand, search for that brand and then search for all the other recommendations, and...well then it is time for breakfast.

Oh, cheap basses may sound like crap and may be difficult to play. 600 dollar basses sound better and can be set up so they are more fun to play. 1000 dollar basses come with the best electronics and are a joy to play. More than that and you get into real pretty woods or very very good fit and finish and frets that are wonderful to play.

If you have the money you might enjoy a better bass.

If you do not have the cash, there are lots of threads here about cheaper basses that are good for the dollar.

But do not forget that you are starting a process that will include buying other things. Amps, tuners, metronomes, books, CDs.

Oh, and look into the Akai U-40 Riff-O-Matic and the Tascam CDBT1 Portable CD Bass Trainer. They let you loop and slow down music off a cd. Some people like the software Transcribe!, but you need a computer. I like the buttons on the machines better.

www.musiciansfriend.com

www.zzounds.com

Tim99.