Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cwm, Sep 24, 2002.

1. cwm

cwm

Feb 14, 2002
    Can I use a speakon cable from my 4 ohm output to a 8 ohm cab, then run another to my other 8 ohm cab? (SVT 3 Pro to SVT 410 HE to Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000) Or should I just stick with my present setup up using 2 1/4" cables to connect the two cabs?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Are you saying Speakon from the amp to the first cab, and a second Speakon from the first cab to the second cab? If so, that's how I do my rig, since my Carvin uses a single Speakon for bridged output. It should work fine.

3. cwm

cwm

Feb 14, 2002
    Yes, two separate Speakon cables (the second with a 1/4" plug on one end). My Ampeg cab has two Speakon jacks ( as well as two 1/4" jacks), one for input, the other for output. My M-B only has 1/4" jacks. Both cabs are 8 ohm. I'm not sure I'm getting all the power the amp has to deliver with the two Monster 500 1/4" speaker cables. Of course I could be going deaf... I am unsure if the single 4 ohm output from the jack would load the amp correctly with the 8 ohm speakers, but from the your response, I guess I'll be alright. cw