Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie questions about GK 700RB2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peter G, Jun 22, 2005.

1. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    Why does the GK 700 have 2 speaker outputs (per style) does it matter which I use for 8 ohm? And do I really have to use GK cabs to use the bi-amp tweeter control or will the four wire speakon work with other brand cabs with tweeter?

Please forgive me if these questions sound stupid, I'm just a tech-challenged old guy who decided to buy more amp than he can handle in search of better tone thanks peter.

2. it has two 1/4" speaker outs so you can hook up two, 8 ohm cabs to it. the speakon outs are for the bi-amp function (for the horn i believe). from what i have heard, you do need GK cabs to make use of the bi-amp mode.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    it doesn't matter which jack you plug into with one 8 ohm cab, but don't use the 4 conductor speakon cables with non-gk cabs- that would be bad. you CAN use 2 conductor ones with the 700rb and non-gk cabs and be fine though... i'm sure daniel elliot will come by and give you technical answers soon...

4. If you wanted to use the horn bi-amp feature, you would need to use a GK cabinet or modify your other cabinet. We included a pair of Speakon and a pair of 1/4" jacks so that if you want to run two 8 ohm cabinets, you have the option to use either/or.

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i have been using the 700rbII with an ampeg 8x10, with the one speakon cable that comes with the amp, for about a year now with no problems.

6. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    Ok thanks folks, if you run an 8ohm out each 1/4” jack, is it still only 8 ohm? If I want to get down to 4ohm I could run two 8ohm cabs in series plugged into 1 jack?

It seems 25 years ago when I quit playing bass my gear was simpler :) but I think I'll be happier with this head/cab over a combo once I figure it out thanks peter.

7. if you plug in two, 8 ohm cabs into the 1/4" outs, it will be 4 ohms. you don't need to daisy-chain them

8. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Just bought a 700RBII head and an Ampeg SVT410HLF. I'm confused on how I connect the head to a 4ohm cab. I take what everyone has said about the 2 1/4" plugs as being 8ohms a piece. I also don't understand where the speakon cables come into play. Just very confused.:confused:

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The lowest impedance a 700RBII will power safely is 4 ohms. That means that you can hook up ONE 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs safely.

It does not matter if you use the 1/4" OR speakon outs.

IF you use the speakon outs use only the +1,-1 configuration for your speaker (this is the standard). The +2,-2 is for the horm amp (the 700RBII has two non bridgeable amps, one for woofer (+1,-1), one for tweeter (+2,-2)).

So, to hook up a single 4 ohm cab, use EITHER the speakon or 1/4" outputs. To hook up two 8 ohm cabs (for a total of 4 ohms) use ANY TWO of both kinds of outputs OR ONE output and daisy chain the two cabs together.

(Remember, use the +1,-1 configuration for the speakons)

:D

Joe.

10. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    so i can use one of the 1/4" outputs and put it into my 4 ohm cab and the head will push the 4ohm wattage? So if I want to plug it into my 2x10 8ohm cab how do i use both of the 1/4" plugs into the one jack in the cab to get the required 8ohms....i just wanna play, this tech stuff is a bit over my head...i should hire a roady!!

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The ohms part refers to total speaker load.

1 8ohm speaker cab = 8ohms.
    2 8ohm speaker cabs = 4 ohms
    1 4ohm speaker cab = 4 ohms
    2 4ohms speaker cabs = 2 ohms
    1 8ohm + 1 4ohm speaker cabs = 2.6 ohms.

2.6 ohms is too low for your amp.

You can use ONE 4 ohm or two 8ohm speakers at once.

You SHOULD NOT use a 4ohm and a 8ohm cab at the same time with this amp. The impedence (speaker load in ohms) goes too low. The amp is rated for 4ohms minimum.

Joe.

12. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    ok, thanks for the help...but, I wasn't saying I want to use both at the same time. I have a 4ohm cab and one 8ohm cab. I plan on keeping them in seperate locations and using the 4ohm cab for practice w/ the band and the 8ohm cab at home. I would be transporting the head back and forth between cabs. so how do i hook up the head to the one 8ohm cab.

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool.

Good thinking.

:)

Um, the same way you would an 8ohm cab.

I am not sure I understand your question.

:eyebrow:

Joe.

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You can use either output for either impedence cabinet. It isn't like a tube amp, where you have seperate outputs depending on the impedence of the cabinet you're using.

When you're at home, plug in your cabinet to either of the 1/4 outputs (or speakon). Do the same at practice with the 4-ohm cabinet.

15. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Thanks, that is what was confusing...on my Marshall TSL there is a 1/4 for 8ohm and a 1/4 for 16ohm.
    appriciate the help