Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrouchingLag, Dec 2, 2003.

1. I'm very interested in learning to play bass. That of course requires me to purchase one. This forum has been an awesome resource but I'd still appretiate some input on really good beginner bass guitars. I'm kinda strapped for cash so I'm looking for something cheap, cheap enough that I can buy an amp too and not have to move out and eat Raman noodles for the next few months.

The other question I have is about starter packages. Should I buy a "Bass Pack" or just go out and buy the guitar and amp seperatly? Lastly, anybody know any good guitar shops in upstate New York, I live close to Elmira and Ithaca so if anybody could give me some names I'd appreciate it. Thanks for putting up with yet another newbie post.:D
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hi Newbie,

I've played a gazillion cheap basses in my lifetime and IMO you can't beat SX and Brice basses in bang for the buck. I recently bought one of these;$sessionid$HH4I31QAAAMDVTZENUFZPQWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1369833

and I couldn't be happier.

there are others at and if there's a really long thread here on essex and brice basses. you can search for it or i'm sure someone else will hook you up with the link. as you can see from the link above I'm not very good at the simplified version of posting links. :)

3. My suggestion would be any one of these starter packs.

Squier Bass Pak

Convenience and value is the name of the game with these all inclusive packages. A Squier Affinity P-Bass is paired with an amp and packaged with all the accessories you'll need to plug in and play! This package was designed by professionals who know that beginners need to have affordable quality in both the amp and the bass.

Ibanez IJSB190 Jumpstart Electric Bass Package

You've got everything you need: axe, amp, cord, instruction book video, and more. Don't confuse Jumpstart packages with other value packs that contain bottom shelf generic grade equipment. Jumpstart has name brand, good stuff that you can still use when you get good yourself.

Silvertone LB11 Bass and Amplifier Package

The Silvertone Bass Package comes with everything you need. Featuring the Silvertone SSLB-11 "Precision" style 4-string bass (34" long scale, 20 fret Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard, 1 split "P" style pickup, 1 volume and 1 tone control, chrome die-cast enclosed tuning machines, fully adjustable chrome bridge), the Silvertone Bass package also includes the BA-10 bass amp (10 watts RMS, 7" bass driver, 3-band EQ, headphone jack), GT-8 tuner, gig bag, strap, cable, pickpack, and instructional video.

4. Of those three that Treena so thoughtfully suggested, I would definitely recommend the Ibanez, JUST because of the fact that it has a P/J pickup configuration. That way, you can fool around with the volume knobs for each pickup and "find your sound", as everyone likes to call it. This bass also stays in tune pretty well, has an easy action, and (in my experience) is durable as a German car. Or a Japanese car.