1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devil259, Mar 9, 2004.

1. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    erm...may i know what is P-bass, J-bass, F-bass and so on? what is their difference?

heh..as u can see i am a newbie

2. well I can see how this can get confusing!

P-bass is Precision Bass
    J-bass is Jazz Bass

F-bass is a luthier!

3. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    erm...how abt their differences? eg. izzit the jazz bass is better in slapping?

4. correct me if I am wrong but...

a Jazz bass has a 2 pickup configuration. One pickup closer to the bridge, and the other closer to the neck. I think the neck is also slightly thinner than a P-bass, which can make it a bit quicker.

A Precision bass has a different pickup configuration, two smaller pickups (each one covering only 2 strings instead of all 4) positioned next to each other near the neck, and another pickup covering all 4 strings positioned near the bridge. I think the neck is slightly wider than the Jazz bass.

The difference in pickup configurations provide a different range of sounds. To my ear, the a good Jazz bass tends to sound very warm and can be a bit growly. You can also get nice clear highs with them. Haven't spent much time on a P bass, but to me they sound very round, not as growly, and lacking a bit of attack. I prefer Jazz basses for slap, but others may not.

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi, welcome to Talkbass. There is a search function on the toolbar near the top of the page. Run a search on the differences between P-bass and J-bass. I'm sure you'll find lots of threads on the topic.

6. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    ahh..thanks for the info guys! :) ;)