1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

newbie rackmount

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mntngrown, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    So I got a crown amp and tech 21 rbi and a skb 4 space to put em in. The preamp will obviously only be attached to the front as it is shallow.
    The heavy amp I will put on the bottom, and it attaches at the front only. There are two holes on back flanges, but they are perpendicular to the skb rear holes. Are there some 90 degree els I am supposed to buy somewhere, or don't these heavy poweramps attach front and rear to the skb ata racks?

2. With SKB cases (I think) you need to buy the rear rack rails seperatley. Or are you talking about the holes being on the power amp? Might be a case of just using some metal plumbing stripping that is used to support pipes (cant remember the name of the stuff, its a flat strip of metal with holes through it).

How heavy is the crown anyways? ive never needed to rear mount my amp, and its a bit of a beast :)

3. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    The bathroom scale puts it at 25+, and the holes in the front line up like they should with the skb. since it spans over the back edge it does not need to rearmount, for vertical support, but it would seem to be a good idea for lateral torque, when moving it. the holes in the back of the amp are perpendicular to the skb. I guess they are there for another purpose. thanks.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Typically rack equipment is only attached from the front. The power amp manufacturer would have taken this into account when designing the unit. If not, there would be something in the owners manual.

5. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    OK I'll try it w/o rear, but I'll probably grab el brackets at the hardware store cause I'm the paranoid type.

6. my 50 lb SVT is only front mounted, and its fine.

7. mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    Cool!

8. I have mounted many heavy amps (over 40 lbs) using only the front mounting rails, but always in cases much more sturdy than your typical SKB. So if you get too much flex, one option is to get a better case.

Good luck.

9. 25 lbs?

You'll be fine with it just front mounted, my svts front mounted and weighs in at 85lbs

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    What I did with my SVT 4 Pro is leave the rubber feet on & mount it on the bottom. The feet take the weight.

11. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    25lbs is nothing. id say a typical head is 40lbs? mesas, gks, ect. and they only go up from there as the ampeg guys will tell you

12. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    You probably are missing the rear rack rails... Just about everything rackmountable today is safe with only the front brackets mounted. If you had an old Phase Linear amp, you would NEED to support the back end, as they put the transformer at the back of an aluminum case. I believe thats how they earned the nickname - FlameLinear.

Most companies aren't that dumb anymore...

13. We have two PA Amp racks full of big crown amps and we have never rear mounted them. Front mounting is plenty for them

14. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Yeah, I have a 32 lbs peavey power amp thats only front mounted in my rack. You should be fine with 25lbs.