Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie saying hello to all my fellow Bassists in arms

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msherman, Nov 24, 2002.

1. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    I`m a 41 year old Luthier from Connecticut.
    One of my customers turned me on to this site, and I must say....it`s awesome! I wish I had found this site earlier. Anyway, hello all.
    I attached a couple of pics of two of my basses.

Mike

2. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    :D And one of my 5 stringers

3. Now I know that it is customary to be polite and nice to the new people, but after seeing your basses, I already hate you :p . I'm just kidding, those are amazing looking basses. On the 7-stringer, what is the significance for the angled pick ups? By the way, welcome to Talk Bass, I have been here for less than a year and I am already hooked. You will love it here, great, intelligent people who are always helpful.

4. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Ok, lets try this again.

Mike

5. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    maybe this one is better.

Mike

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey mike

welcome to talkbass. those are some pretty nice looking basses you have there. any more pics? we love pics around here :D

7. welcome to talkbass. those are some pretty nice looking basses you have there. any more pics? we love pics around here :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I say u show him a pic of your monster basses. It could become a new hazing ritual, everyone has to fathom a double neck 7-string. Plus, its free posts for you. :p

8. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    John, thanks for the warm welcome. I just bought this camera yesterday and still working out the bugs with it. I`ll take some pics of the guitar heard tomorrow and post them.

Mike

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi there Mike! Where in CT do you live? I live in Norwich-the southeast corner of the state, and would love to find out more about your work and prices. Send me a PM if you'd like.

10. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Bryan, I`m located in New Hartford Ct.
    I play in a band called Flipper Dave. We play in your neck of the woods quite often.

Mike

11. Welcome to talkbass! :)

12. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Welcome!

I hope you'll enjoy this place. I know I do.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcome to talkbass :cool:

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Welcome to TB, msherman!

They're some nice lookin' basses there! Far too many strings, though :D

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Dude dont tease with pics without info!!!

What is the name of your company or shop?? Have a website.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Welcome to Talkbass! Nice pics! I have a question - the 7 stringer appears to have the middle string (A?) running through the pole pieces of both Pickups whereas the other strings are only 'picked up' by one of the pickups - how does this sounds??? Id there some sort of compensation built into the electronics???

OK, too many questions!!! Welcome!:)

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

You're right. Weird!! Im wondering how that effects the sound too.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think its just the camera angle..
    anywho.. those are some nice basses there.. I am jealous.. I only wish I could do that... congrats and welcome

19. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Howdy,
    Welcome to TB. Yep this is a cool place. Most everybody is helpful here. Enjoy.

:confused: How in the world does someone play so many strings. I have trouble with 5. Man, 2 more strings to learn all the notes on? Argghh

20. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Ok, here is a rundown on the 7 str.
    Seven piece neck through with purple heart, walnut, and maple. Body wings are zebra wood, maple, and mohogany. P/U`s are Duncans with the pole pieces lowered on the front P/U under the D string (hard to see in the pic) to compensate for
    doubling up on that string. The bridge plate was hand made and each string has a piezo crystal running through a Quad OP pre-amp with adjustable trim pots on the back plate, so each string can be individually adjusted. I also sandwiched a piezo cable from the headstock to the bridge through the center neck stringer which has it`s own trim pot.
    I am very pleased with the sound of this bass. It delivers that killer "Jaco" sound, with a enhanced "woody" tone.

Mike