Newbie slap bass question....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PTBassMan, Oct 28, 2005.

1. PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Been playing bass for over a year now, but strictly finger method, but now am learning "slap-n-pop". I know what I am supposed to do, but not sure why (if that makes sense!). Any easy or practice slap bass lines that will kinda show me how it comes together besides also learning the technique?
    Thanks, Jim
  2. Not sure why? Because that's how you make the SLAP sound!

OK, super simple technique pointers:

Slap = Give the thumbs-up sign, then just whack the thumb into the string, making contact with the curved or "heel" of your thumb.

Pop = Curve your index finger into a hook kind of a hook shape, like the letter C. Do basically the same motion as if you were scratching an itch with it, just harder. Put the string right near the tip of your finger, pull the string up away from the fretboard (BUT NOT TOO FAR), and let the string's tension pull it back. That part's important, if you do it right you shouldn't be trying that hard. Just let the string pull itself away from your finger.

Then combine these 2 techniques. A good practice for beginners is just to slap and pop octaves all the way up and down the neck, like this:

Just do that up and down, fret-by-fret, a bunch of times until you're comfortable with it (make sure you get used to it on all strings too). Then start doing it with different combinations of notes. Then try out some simple slap lines. The first slap song I learned was the Chili Pepper's "Higher Ground". The intro is great, just octaves like that excercise and pretty simple. You can find tabs for it pretty much anywhere.
  3. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
  4. PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
  5. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    not to try and degrade Mike, but there are actually two styles. there is Micheal (sp?) Manring style, where you have the bass as high as possible, let your elbow hang down past the strings, and make a 45 degree angle up towards the strings. now you have two slapping hand options that I can think of. the first is just a thumbs up sign like mike said, and you hit the string with the side of your thumb around the knuckle. the other hand position is the same, only your popping with the top of your index fingers knuckle.

now on to the second bass position. You have your bass low around your waist or wherever is comfortable, then open your right hand like your palming a basketball. you still hit the strings with the side of your thumb, but this time you can pop with whatever fingers you want. PM me if you need pictures.

edit-aaaand I just realized you already know....
  6. As long as you're learning from scratch, might as well practice the upstroke of the thumb too. Its much harder when you're used to only doing the downstroke with your thumb and trying to alter familiar movements to accomodate it.

7. This one is pretty much perfect as far as I can tell. This site is generally my first choice when looking for tabs, they have damn near everything (except Jaco:()
  8. PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Thanks for all the input. Just gonna take practice, practice, and more practice. Then when I'm not practicing, I'll practice then too!!

9. Arent they teaching him just to hit horizontal? rather than the wooten double thumb method