Newbie Slap Songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jazzman23, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey guys,

Im a relative bass newibe. I wanna get into slap, but its so damn hard!! I still have trouble getting good sound when thumb-striking any string but E. I'm also fairly slow at popping. Any recommendations for some songs with some beginner slap basslines? (PS plz dont say flea's Aeroplane, people say that all the time, but I think its hard as hell)

Or just some practice techniques I can use to get better.
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Higher Ground by RHCP.. but if a bass player ever hears you playing it, he will probably kill you. It is the most over played slap bass riff played by bass players. It's like Freebird, Mustang sally, or Stairway to Heaven for the bassworld.
  3. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    buy a recorder,
    start slowly at about 50 bpm
    slap on 1, pop on &

make up your own slap bass lines, they are not that hard
  4. Lukeitfc

Jan 4, 2006
    RHCP's Can't stop was the first thing I learnt slapping,

Very easy

5. Jazzman23

Dec 23, 2005
    thx for the input guys

but I've found those songs are kind of hard. I mean, how do you guys pull off thumb striking the F# and the G so quickly in higher ground? It seems almost impossible to do without hammerons. And in can't stop, flea does some really fast thumb striking as well.

I guess I just need more practice? Or maybe I should be playing the songs differently...?
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Start off slow. Then slowly accelerate.
  7. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    This is what I have learnt:

Its easy to attempt to play something at a fast speed and just about get through it.

Its alot harder and takes more skill to be able to play it a lot slower and perfectly in time. If you start slow, then gradually increase your speed like mentioned above, you should find it easier
  8. tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    The first slap song i learned was Take The Power Back by Rage Against the Machine. I learned it 2 months after playing bass and once you get it down good you can have some real fun with the fills

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    before you learn a song your going to have to practice.

E:|1---2-2---3-3---4-4---5-5---6-6---7-7-- and so on

pratice those just get fast and fsat the you can change the patterns like a slap then 2 pops.
  10. Again, I posted this in 2 other threads now... but again, it seems appropriate here...

Two words... "Slap it!" Tony Oppenheim

This book is what I used years ago to learn the mysterious world of slappin' and poppin' - it is very easy to understand with this book. And back when I bought the book it came with, what at the time was a state-of-the-art teaching aid - a sound page! Now I don't know how old you are, but in the old days, before CD's and MP3's we used to use this thing that the rappers and DJ's use today, called a 'turntable' to play our 'records' on... This sound page was a flimsy, vinyl, square 45 that let me hear these exercises as I was reading the notes... All the differnce in the world! Get 'Slap it!' today and I promise you, next week you will be slappin' and poppin' like a pro!

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The best place to go for slap is the beginning, i.e. SLy and the Family Stone...Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself. That song is the definition of funk to me. Simple and not too fast.

On the more modern side, I think Suck My Kiss by RHCP is a groovier, slower slap song and TONS of fun to boot.
  12. Suck my kiss is a finger style song. I would reccommend that you learn take the power back by rage. First slap song that I learned and its a great little slap groove to bring up in a jam.

13. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  14. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    As a slap bass beginner, I advise working your way through a lesson/exercise book, such as Slap Bass Essentials.

The book's level of difficulty is more suited for a slap bass beginner through intermediate player.

15. britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    a very easy slap song is Lenny Kravitz's Fly Away. Play with a metronome too, I found it difficult to get the pop right on time at first.
  16. Benny4Strings

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah! i'm also looking for songs to slap too, and yes lenny kravitz's Fly Away is a great one to learn!!
  17. Another vote for take the power back by rage against the machine
  18. Axel15810

Jan 29, 2008
    The first slap I learned was "What Was I Thinking" by 311. It's an easy slap line.

Another fairly easy one is "Pretty Little Ditty" by RHCP.

And yeah just do the exercises above it will help. It took me a while to be able to slap well on anything but the E string as well. The A string just comes with practice. Practice will make you more accurate so that you can strike that A string consistently without dissonance. Keep at it and good luck.
  19. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
  20. BigRoo

Oct 10, 2009
    I bought Ed Friedlands' DVD " Slap Bass the Ultimate Guide" it is produced by Hal Leonard. You can buy it at Musicians Friend or Amazon or where ever. It shows you everything you need to know. It is a excellent place to start. To play fast you have to start slow just be patient it will come. By the way the DVD is only twenty bucks and it is well worth the money. Phil:bassist: