Newbie, suggestions on gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crimson, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    Hello, my name is Crimson, I'm a drummer looking to pick up bass. I'm a regular on the Pearl drum forum but bass is completely new to me. This summer I am looking to pick up bass due to a lack of kids my age to play drums with. I have toyed around on my friend's bass but the total amount of time spent totals less than 30 mins.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on a solid bass to get as well as a realtively small amp to practice with? I'm pretty sure I'll stick with bass but I don't want to save up for a while only to get an expensive axe and barely play it. When I start playing with some friends I can probably be able to get a larger amp but I just need something to start off with. Any suggestions would be excellent!

Thanks a bunch!
  2. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Check out Essex basses, great basses for beginners and great value as well! As for an amp, look into the Peavey micro-bass practice amp, thats a pretty good little bass amp!

Andy :)
  3. Get a Squier MB-4 and a little 15 watt Rumble or something.
    I have the MB-4 and it is AWESOME for a begginer. I've had it for almost a year and no problems what-so-ever. P/J pups and you can tell the difference in em. 3 knobs, top-volume, middle-pup pan, bottom-tone. I love it. No experience with the amp but I've heard they good for in your room. The bass is $180 and the amp is $120 both from MF. Good luck dude.
  4. Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    Thanks for the help. I've always beens interested in bass, it's just drumming is an expensive hobby and I never had the money. I've been toying with the idea of playing with a couple of friends, but can't on drums because one of my friends I tech for is unbelievably awesome, and there would be no contest.