Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie, suggestions on gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crimson, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Crimson

Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    Hello, my name is Crimson, I'm a drummer looking to pick up bass. I'm a regular on the Pearl drum forum but bass is completely new to me. This summer I am looking to pick up bass due to a lack of kids my age to play drums with. I have toyed around on my friend's bass but the total amount of time spent totals less than 30 mins.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on a solid bass to get as well as a realtively small amp to practice with? I'm pretty sure I'll stick with bass but I don't want to save up for a while only to get an expensive axe and barely play it. When I start playing with some friends I can probably be able to get a larger amp but I just need something to start off with. Any suggestions would be excellent!

Thanks a bunch!

2. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Check out Essex basses, great basses for beginners and great value as well! As for an amp, look into the Peavey micro-bass practice amp, thats a pretty good little bass amp!

Andy :)

3. Get a Squier MB-4 and a little 15 watt Rumble or something.
    I have the MB-4 and it is AWESOME for a begginer. I've had it for almost a year and no problems what-so-ever. P/J pups and you can tell the difference in em. 3 knobs, top-volume, middle-pup pan, bottom-tone. I love it. No experience with the amp but I've heard they good for in your room. The bass is $180 and the amp is $120 both from MF. Good luck dude.

4. Crimson

Crimson

Feb 29, 2004
    Thanks for the help. I've always beens interested in bass, it's just drumming is an expensive hobby and I never had the money. I've been toying with the idea of playing with a couple of friends, but can't on drums because one of my friends I tech for is unbelievably awesome, and there would be no contest.