Newbie TalkBass Observations... 6 months in

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BadSanta1281, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Hey TB.

Newbie bass student here at almost 60 years old. Finding this place has slowed my progress dramatically because all I do is read about basses, look at pictures of basses, GAS for new gear and it's all your fault. Well, maybe partly my fault. Who has time to practice when there's all these threads to read?

I've been hanging around here for about six months now and here's a few things that I have noticed.

* Bass players have a sense of humor. Guitar forums aren't as entertaining as this place. Guitar players think they're funny. Bass players are funny.

* TB members are a very helpful bunch. Advice is just a question away here. Usually multiple opinions to point you in different directions.

* TB members will post pictures of their (music related) gear at any opportunity... even if they've posted those pictures before.

* Some of y'all are hoarders. Holy Moly! I get the GAS but some of you have more gear than you'll ever use. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

* Some of you have a need to modify a perfectly good bass for no good reason.

* You can play the same music with a $59 eBay special that you can with a $15k boutique bass. That's really a beautiful thing if you think about it.

* Lastly... I still don't get the carrot thing. But I think most of you don't get it either.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Patience, Padawan.

6 mos is far too soon to be inducted into the inner circle of the carrot.

ak56, S-Bigbottom, pcake and 7 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    More Mel Bay, less eBay....

catcauphonic, grinx, ak56 and 6 others like this.
  4. My feelings are hurt. You don't carrot all about me.

5. That carrot remark just Bugs me....

Wisebass, Reedt2000, pcake and 3 others like this.
  6. Orange you glad you read it, though? Lettuce be friends here.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Once you score a playing gig, whether a jam band, buddy get together, or serious date scheduled playing gig, you’ll find yourself focusing on learning songs.
    Don’t spend too much time online here. Seek out some musicians to make music with.

THAT’s where you find out how adequate your gear AND your abilities are.

S-Bigbottom and BadSanta1281 like this.
  8. @BadSanta1281 You're a punny person. I think we're going to get along just fine.

I read no reference to The Mothman bass. If you haven't learned of this yet, do a search. The first time I heard of it, I was laughing out loud while reading everyone's comments. I'm not sure there is another bass or guitar in the world with this kind of notoriety.

Wisebass and BadSanta1281 like this.
  9. Oh, I have seen pictures of the notorious bass of which you speak. I will not type it's name with my own fingers for fear of opening some sort of Pandora's box and having said bass haunt me for the rest of my days. I see you have no fear of typing it's name yourself. I wish you good luck in shaking the curse of said famous instrument.

hrodbert696 and TolerancEJ like this.
  10. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    TB members come from all walks of life, so they are an excellent, deep resource for knowledge.
    The carrot thing is stupid. It started a long time ago and I doubt anyone gets the joke anymore. It is just tradition.
    Buy gear is more fun than practicing, I know. It is instant gratification. Finding a practice routine that you enjoy is important. Finding ways to learn what you want is actually very hard to do. Then finding the time to do it. It is part of the journey.

11. Oh carrots are divine, you get a dozen for a dime, it's magic. They fry, a song begins; they roast and I hear violins, it's magic. Why do I kid myself? Other loves that I have are all really few. When in my heart I know, the magic's my love for you.

Bugs Bunny, 1951

Passinwind, Wisebass, Ronzo and 4 others like this.
  12. Nice thread OP. I give it three floating dog heads.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    The thrill of victory, the agony of d'carrots.

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

DO

NOT

SPEAK

THE

NAME!!!!

TolerancEJ and BadSanta1281 like this.
  15. I thought that the TB boffins had developed an algorithm to autocorrect the name of that infamous bass. Surely technology can save us!?

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  16. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    *bass players notice nuances in tone that no one else would ever notice.

*there is an unhealthy obsession with tortoise shell, and pickguards in general.

*bass players think all their problems will be solved by just firing the drummer.

*threads come in waves, like 5 "do I need a backup?" threads in 3 days.

*a funny post will ALWAYS get more likes than a thoughtful one.

*TB inspired my new mantra: your bass is just fine, go practice your bass....your bass is just fine, go practice your bass....

ak56 and BadSanta1281 like this.
  17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Careful fellas...I think we may have a g**tarist in our midst trying to fool us.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice job! That pretty much sums it up.

"Carrots" is just an inside joke used as an option in polls. It simply means "Honestly, I don't give a crap either way"..... but not in an offensive way.... more of a literal way.

So if a TBer asks "Should I get the burst P bass with tort and flats or the red P bass with tort and flats?" the poll options should be "Burst", "Red" and "Carrots".

If you feel morally obligated to vote, but really don't care, or just so happen to like kr hate both options, pull the lever for "Carrots".

It's fun for the whole family!
    :hyper:

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  19. Nope. Nope. Can't play the guitar. But I own one.
    Come to think of it... not really much of a bass player yet either. But I own three (and a half).

Wisebass and cosmicevan like this.
  20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Bad Santa :)

yod unlearn.jpg

yoda options.jpg

[​IMG]

small pic.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:laugh:
    palpatine.jpg

resistance-is-fertile.jpg

Yoda gas - Copie (3).jpg

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

oldandbold and BadSanta1281 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021