Newbie to effects - general info?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Boltboy, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Boltboy

Dec 6, 2003
    Hey, im a newbie to both bass guitar and effects. That being said, I'm not exactly in a RUSH to jump into effects before I learn the bass, but b/c I'm really into changing/distorting sounds in different ways (played around a lot with this stuff on the computer) it is something I wouldnt mind having just to fool around with as im learning.

- First off, are there any general info. sites that will explain what the diff. types of effects do and what kind of sound I can expect to get out of them?

- Secondly, what is a good "all in one" type of effects pedal? I'm not looking for anything specifically, but there are a few effects I have heard that I did enjoy the sound of. Namely the original crybaby wah. If I have to buy only one pedal though, what would have the most options for me to fool around with =)

Thanks for the info. Again, I realize this is something I shouldnt focus on at the start - but let a guy enjoy spending some $$$ while hes got it :D
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you have to buy only one pedal, you MIGHT want to buy a mutli efx pedal. The only problem is that since they are many effects in one, they arent as hgigh quality as individual pedals. But for you, i think they would be alright. Look at Zoom pedals, They are great for the price.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Boss has made some decent multi-effects pedals. But before you go off spending a couple of hundred dollars, what are you looking for? Listen to songs with bass sounds you like, and go from there.

I find that other than a little compression, EQ, and maybe some chorus (occasionally only), effects only muddy up your sound.
  4. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc

Really, I've never had a pedal that sucked as much as the Zoom 506.
    What a waste of $$$.

If you can find one used, try the Korg AX-1B. Excellent quality for a multi, and generaly rather cheap.
    Then, if you find you like some effects in particular, you can look for higher quality individual pedals.

But the AX-1B is actually very good on its own.
    -It doesn't suck your tone, and the effects are clear (except maybe for the distortion which could be better).
  5. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    i have an ax-1b that just sits in my room. if you are interested in it, send over a pm. it was my first experiment in effects and is definately easy to use. i have the manual and all.

6. Yes, the Zoom 506 was pretty bad IMHO, but the newer BFX 708 II is a great bang for the buck. It also has a sampler/looper and with an additional Smartmedia card later, you can get beyond the 6 second memory sample space to 32 minutes!

Newbie guy, go to and click on user reviews/effects. You can check out a lot of gear there! Zoom gets a bad rap on the street about its plastic case and pedal but I've asked several area repairpersons about their "comeback" rate and they said they weren't falling apart on anyone who wasn't abusing them or tossing them around.

Be aware that these days, many low priced to mid priced multi effects pedals have their input/output jacks soldered directly to the circuit board inside (without nuts on each end of the jack) so i f anyone in the band steps on the plugs/cords, you can be out of business.

Make or buy a case/pedal board that'll support and protect your cables and jacks and you should be ok.

You can get either the Digidesign BP200 or the Zoom BFX 708 II for $150 at guitar shops.
  7. Boltboy, the sampler, by the way, will allow you to record &copy licks and bassline phrases from CDs. The perfect thang for beginning bassists! In other words it'll sort of do what the Tascam Bass Trainer will do. Good luck!
  8. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I certainly hope they improved : The 506 was simply useless. Crappy effects, massive tone-sucking and terrible background noise. Bleh!! :mad:
    Well, my mistake for buying it. (On the advice of a friend. -He regrets to this day and apologizes regularly. I swear.)

If you say they've done better since, maybe I'll check one up next time I'm shopping around. Because right now they're still on my black list.