Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie to effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Aug 8, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok let me start out by saying ive been a member of this website for 3 years and never been into the effects forum. Ive always blown off effects and figured a good amp and bass will do it. I finally got my dream setup so i decided to add a distortion pedal and maybe a compressor or sumthing. I know alot about effects but never been a fan of them. Right now i have a stingray4 and a spectort going into ampeg b4r (new yahhhh). I play punk/hard rock/emo kind of stuff. Ive played for 8 years so skill wise im alright, i just wanna play around with sum different sounds live. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try. Im thinkin sum sort of distortion like a sans amp, but do they have enough cut?? I heard timmy c ( one of my idols) uses the marshall guvnor pedal. ALso if sumone could suggest a compressor, or even if thats a good idea. thanks.

2. i used to like having lots of effects but i have to admit i have scaled down to the bass and amp approach. it sounds like you are playing heavier music. if that is the case i would recommend a less is more approach. unless you are having serious peaking problems i wouldn't bother with a compressor, they can adversely affect tone. i don't have one but i hear the big muff is good distortion pedal for bass. a chorus/flanger effect always sounds cool, although it can muddy up the sound in a band situation. the only effect i always take with me is some kind of EQ, especially if i am just using the combo amp, it can really improve the sound.

hope this helped!

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    A good multi effects pedal would work nicely. You can chose from a ton of effects and amp models which produce different tones. Some of these pedals have it all with eq, compressor, tuner, drum machines you name it. I'm in a cover band and I have an inexpensive pedal and it works great because I can make my bass sound like almost anybodys out there. Some pedals have the ability to download pre-sets from different bassists into your pedal, I like them a lot they are very cool.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Compressors are a great idea (IMHO of course). I would go with one of the rack-mount ones (like Alesis, Dbx etc.) over a stomp box (Boss et al). As far as distortions, I don't think that Timmy C uses the Guv'nor any more. I would recommend doing a search on distortion because there are lots and lots of threads on it and everyone has their own preferences.