1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie tries out the Bass Muff and Swollen Pickle.... :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 24, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    OK, so I am putting together my first real, big bass pedal board and I did buy a few similar pedals to try out to see which one I liked.... ala two Fuzz, two OD and 2 octave.

Well I finally got the board wired up and began going through the pedal. So I get to the Big Muzz and I am honestly not one to like fuzz or really even any dirt on bass but I want to have an open mind and experience things I know nothing about instead of following other peoples opinions. SO I kick on the Big Muff with all the knobs and noon and it sounded great! I loved it... giggled like a little kid and started playing my zeppelin riffs and all that fun stuff. I just loved the pedal, it sounded smooth and the fuzz was just awesome.

OK, so I turn off the Big Muff and step on the Swollen Pickle.... SWEET BABY BUFORD! I was like Micheal J Fox in back to the future.... that thing about blew me out of my chair. That pedal is FUN! I sure hope that one doesnt get me in trouble lol.

2. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017

ppiluk and gregmon79 like this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

Haha that’s hilarious. The Swollen Pickle most def is a raging beast if a muff fuzz. I loved mine. I’ll get one again someday. It’s very unique in its own. Def muffy but then it’s whole other thing. Very synthy. You know there are 2 internal trims in there right? You can adjust those for even more sounds. I know for me it wasn’t my go to fuzz in the mix because it’s def tricky to dial in with a band. You wouldn’t think so but I know I had issues. Still a great bass fuzz.

Which big muff you get? I am such a muff whore. I have gone through so many over the last couple years and they seem to always get better as I go on. But I found a winner in the new rerelease of the EHX green Russian. That thing is amazing. So I think anyway. I want to get the mids/bright mod done to it but I think It’ll be perfection after that.

Glad to hear your board is coming together man! Fun stuff ain’t it?!

armybass likes this.
  4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yeah, but what happens when you turn em both on...

armybass likes this.
  5. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    I still always get a little nervous when the WHSP gets stepped on initially. If that volume gets knocked the wrong way.........

Jakeman and armybass like this.
  6. Word of caution: watch the volume knob on the pickle. Drummer bumped my at a show getting behind the kit, it got turned to max and I didn't notice. Turn it on and blam!!! Super loud for a split second as I turned back off, but damage was done. Blew a speaker in my GK MB212II. Rest of the show(1 song) was crackle and volume drops. Didn't know at the time it was just the speaker, thought amp was shot. Ended up buying another amp to cover shows while I got the GK sorted.

7. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    My volume is always nine o clock.... thinking about using some super glue to assure no funny business.. lol

munkeyfish likes this.