1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Tube Question - Leave it on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moondog24, Sep 10, 2008.

1. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    So I got myself a Shuttle 6.0 and it's my first amp with a tube. (Add me to the long list of Shuttle-lovers. :hyper:)

I'm wondering which is a better approach in terms of tube health and longevity:

-Leave the amp on for hours as I wander in and out of the room throughout the day, playing through the amp for a while every so often; OR

-Turn the amp on each time I want to use it and turn it off each time I stop.

Is running for hours more stressful or is the on/off cycling more of a problem? My guess would be that the on/off cycling is more stressful, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

hoby

2. I don't think that you'll have any issues with turning a hybrid amp on and off as you use it. It's not comparable to poweramp tubes...

3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The only reason to leave it on is if you have no regard for CO2 emissions and global warming.

Turn it off. The amp & tube really don't care. :smug:

4. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    no power tubes = turn it off.

5. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    I didn't mention this, but it was a factor in considering which approach to take.

I'm happy to hear I can cut back on my power usage without consequence for the Shuttle.

Thanks for the responses everybody!

hoby

6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    So if I think more Co2 is awesome and really like global warming I should leave my amp on, right?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Turning an amp on and off does cause the tube to warm up and cool down, and that creates wear. However, in an amp where there's only one tube, I wouldn't worry about it. You may get a little less life out of the tube, but it's not that significant a risk, and even if it was, they're not that much to replace.