Newbie ubass player

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Xaving, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Xaving

Xaving

Oct 21, 2017
    Nogent sur marne
    Hello !

I am new here and very glad to have found this forum.
    My name is Xavier, and I live near Paris where I take part in a ukulele club on a weekly basis. So a lot of uke players/singers and one bass player.

I am coming to you with various motives.
    Maybe you can help me directing me to what thread is more suited for my topic.

The first one has got to do with sound treatment of the ubass currently experiencing different signal levels on each string.

I'm keeping the second one for later :)

Thank you,

X

2. This may help. UBass Tuners | Ubass
    You may have better luck being in the General Instruction section.

Good luck and welcome to the bottom end...

3. calcos

calcos

Jan 11, 2014
    Nelson, BC
    I hear you. I've had my ubass for a couple years now...the E string especially was always significantly quieter than the rest. I emailed with Kala support and got this:

UBASS strings have a large varying thickness they have different string tensions that put different pressures on the piezo-saddle pickup. Since the piezo-saddle pickup works by using pressure, this can lead to uneven output. The UBASS bridge and saddle are built to have some wiggle room to adjust that varying tension but sometimes you have to manually reset the position of the saddle for it to adjust correctly again.

To adjust, we’ve put together some instructions to explain how to do that for Polyurethane strings (Road Toads, Rumbler, and Thunderguts) and Round Wound strings.

Polyurethane Strings

I would detune your strings as much as possible and check to see if your saddle (pick-up) has some front to back wiggle room. Then tune all the strings back up to pitch, start with the E (or B if a 5 string) and work down to the G. Once up to pitch, with your hand try to lean the saddle back (away from the neck) and also apply down pressure to the top. Double check to make sure your strings are up to pitch and then check the output.

If you still are experiencing the issue after that, with the instrument plugged into an amp and on try pressing down on the saddle and rocking it back away from the fret board, keep trying this adjustment and you should get an even output. If after a minute or two it still doesn't work please let me know.

Another method is to lift up all the strings at full tension with your fingers and then pull the pickup back with your other hand. Once pulled back, hold in place as you set the strings back down. PLEASE NOTE: If you have Rumbler, Aquila Red or White Thundergut strings make sure to unwind them a turn or two just a bit to prevent sausaging when lifting.

Round Wound

Loosen the strings, rock saddle a little bit, then lean it back and tune up the strings working from the outside strings inward. i.e. B ----- G , then E ----- D, then A. Check your output and press down on strings at the saddle to ensure proper contact on the pickup.

After following this I was able to get a bit more volume from the low strings but still not a ton. At some point I switched to white Thunderguts and the issue isn't as pronounced, but I still find the E and A relatively quieter than the G and B. Hope that helps!

4. Xaving

Xaving

Oct 21, 2017
    Nogent sur marne
    Super helpful indeed, thank you very much, will try this method.
    I am now using a boss pedal equalizer and I managed to get more from D And G. The A still being loudest and E second loudest.
    I will keep at it because I simply love playing this unusual bass :)
    Let you know how it went :)

calcos likes this.
  5. calcos

calcos

Jan 11, 2014
    Nelson, BC
    Haha, I obviously meant D and G, not G and B. Thanks for the tip on the pedal, I'll look into it!

6. 2648wgb

2648wgb

Mar 4, 2004
    Bridgewater, NJ
    I had a problem on my UBASS where the low E was not as loud as the other strings when using the pickup through an amp.

The problem was caused because the saddle has a notch cut out from it in the area over where the wire from the piezo pickup goes through the hole into the body of the bass. When you remove the saddle you will see what looks to be a little blob of what looks like hot melt glue to compensate for the notch and press down on the piezo element. On mine there was not enough pressure so I used a scissor to cut out a piece of guitar pick and place it on top of the piezo element in the area of the notch.

Now the low E is equal to the other strings.

Xaving likes this.
  7. calcos

calcos

Jan 11, 2014
    Nelson, BC
    Thanks for that tip...I'll check that out!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022