Newbie: Upgrade from gsr200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by havik180, Dec 29, 2005.

1. havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    So I've been playing for alittle while now with a 2nd hand gsr200 and it's been fine. After getting more into basses I've been disappointed with the tone of my bass and the buzzy frets (which I don't think is always me) .

I went down to GC and picked up a few basses and just started playing the bits that I know and was very impressed with the MIM Fender standard Jazz. It just sounded really good to me.I couldn't justify spending $450 + on it , but I did find a used one (6 mos.) for about $250.

To make a short story long would I be better off keeping my $100 Ibanez and throwing in p'ups , bridge strings or should I get the Fender at what I think is a pretty good deal ? I mainly interested in playing alternative,punk and hard rock but I also like playing some blues and jazz. What's my best bet ?

Thanks and sorry for the drawn out post !

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    $250 for a used MIM Fender is probably worth it. You're getting more at that price point that you would with a lot of other basses. Also, if it comes down to the point that you aren't crazy about your bass, you can always sell for about the the same amount you paid for it. When you buy new, you take a hit the second the bass walks out of the store for you, kind of like how a new car depreciates XX% as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Buying new can be cool though, especially for an instrument. Something about it being "yours" is really cool, if you buy into that.

If you have a Guitar Center and Sam Ash that are both local to you, tell the sales person that the other store said they can give it to you for $400 even (the new one, that is), can you do any better than that? Don't be a jerk and they'll play ball. There's wiggle room on Fender prices.

Also, there are more aftermarket parts for Fenders than any other brand. If the hot-rodding bug bites, there will be more direct replacements for your Fender than the Ibanez.

Good luck! :)
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't mod out the Ibanez because when you add it all up, you're going to wind up spending almost just as much to put in new pups and a bridge as you would if you bought the MIM Jazz for $250.

I would go with the MIM Jazz. I recently bought one off of classicjazz for $280 + gig bag, pickguard and badass II and I'm very happy with it. My first bass was a GSR200 and the quality of the MIM surpasses it quite a bit I think.
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Personally I would go for the Fender but if you find one in a color you like besides the black one, best grab it because they are introducing a new color line for the MIMs.....
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The Ibanez's are pretty good...

Iduno, I would suggest maybe get an SX and just swap the pickups...and you'll have spent about as much as you would have with the MIM. Man, I really feel like I'm out to sell an SX or they're payin me...

nothin but good things to say about Rondo from me...then again, it seems the Fenders I've tried just don't sound that good acoustically (not warm like my SX) so I was kind of 'meh'd by them.
  6. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have to disagree with everyone here and say the low end Ibanez beats out a low end Fender. A nice move might be a SR series Ibanez. I would try an Ibanez SR with jazz pups before you pull the trigger on the Fender Jazz.
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd say that a good quality MIM isn't much different than an SR. The SR is more consistant quality however. I had an SR400 and I prefer the tone of my MIM to the SR.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't know - the sound I get from my Ibanez (granted, it is about 20 years old - its about the same level as the low end SRs at least) is somewhat Steril....
  9. Deffinetly get rid of the Ibanez. However, if your interested in more alternative and punk stuff you might consider a p-bass over the jazz. In my experience jazz will do both heavy and light stuff and p-bass isn't so great with the lighter stuff. If you ever start to slap that jazz bass will come in handy too..