Newbie wants new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by lemmingwithadb, Nov 26, 2003.

1. lemmingwithadb

Nov 25, 2003
    Hello. I recently bought a brand new db. Unfortuntely the dealer seems to have put really pants strings on it. The E is as easy to move as mountain and the g is really tinny, especially up high. I was just wondering if anyone knew what type/make of strings would be ideal for someone who plays primarily arco in an orchestra. I live in the Uk so i don know if there are different maufacturers of strings over here. Cheers
  2. pants, eh? :) well since you're a lemming, I'd say go with Helicore orchestras. Most the other lemmings seem to like'em... Seriously though, it'd probably be easier to make better sugestions if we know what kind of bass you have. I like the original flexores on a lot of older carved basses, but not the E particularly. If it's a plywood bass or something kind of dull sounding, I like the spirocore weichs. I even think they bow pretty well, although many will disagree. I wouldn't go for the weich E though, probably the orchestra. Flatchromes are also a good allarond string. Oh, and strings over there should be the same as anywhere else; particularly if you get them mail order or off the web.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I live in the UK and I would agree with toman - definitely buy them mail order via the internet - there are very few UK shops and they have few types of strings and charge a lot for them!! :meh:

I bought my DB strings from :

They are based in Vienna, Austria - so you know that you won't get VAT or customs charges slapped on the asking price.

US shops can seem cheaper - but if the items ordered are worth more than $30 - you have a chance of getting the package opened and a charge made by customs etc.

So a European supllier is safer and PolyChord's prices were very good - comparable to US retailers! :)
  4. lemmingwithadb

Nov 25, 2003
    cheers guys. Yes it is a cheap tinny sounding plywood (unfortunately) as my budget was tight at the time of purchase, and i needed one THEN (As you do) anyway, budget aint so tight now, so any suggestions for cheap plywood bass to sound absolutely great(well as great as possible) would be much appriciated. PS, who are the other lemmings.....? :bag: :confused:
  5. if it's a tinny sounding bass, I'd say go with the original flatchromes. They're pretty clear sounding so you'll get some sound out of the bass, plus they're smooth sounding and bow easily. I'd stay away from the helicores, because the bass would probably go from tinny to thumpy and dead with those, imo. Spiros might still be allright, but they could be a bit loud and obnoxious on a bass like that until they got played in for a few months. Hope this helps...