Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie what guitar should i choose

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robe, Oct 19, 2003.

1. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    Hi everyone, i am wanting to start bass guitar and i have done my research for a few months now and i am choosing between a yamaha RBX170, Ibanez sr100 and a monterey Mab-4. I have read nothing but good reviews for the yamaha and Ibanez, but i cant find 1 review on the monterey.

here is the site.
    http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=2362

or

http://www.montereyguitars.com/main.html
    and just find bass/mab-4

The mab-4 looks lke a relly good deal. MAB-4ASH 4 string Bass with two hum cancelling pickups, solid wood body, hard maple neck, 24 fret Rosewood fretboard, high gloss, 2 volume/ 1 tone controls, 2-a-side machine heads, chromed hardware. Solid Ashwood body with Natural Satin finish.
    and i can get it for $407 Australian, about $240 US but it retails at $480.

please give your opinions ( iam only 13 but willing to pay the money for any of them)
    :) :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THe monterey looks pretty nice but i dont know how trusting you can be when you havent read any reviews at all on it...

:confused: :confused:

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    big thing too is how comfortable it feels to play it
    ibanez sr models are really comfy
    if it;s a constant struggle to play every time you will become frustrated way too fast

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I had a GSR and now have a Soungear, and they are cooooooomfy ;);)!!

5. I would be more inclined to go with the yamaha because I own a Yamaha and I think they are made well for an inexpensive bass.

If you can....... play these before you purchase them. Try them all and then decide which feels the best to you!

Great Entry Level Basses.

Good luck !

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. olp stingray 4s are still $130 on musicians friend i think..that's a pretty good deal

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anyone tried OLP Spectors?

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'll second Treena on this. I would go for the Yamaha as well. I own an RBX270 and think it is really well made for the price. As everyone else said, try before you buy, that will tell you everything you need to know.

Dan
    :bassist:

9. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    is that australian dollars or US

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im guesisng American, or thatd be really cheap, right?

11. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    lol..yeh very cheap.
    Umm im thinking that ill probably go with the yamaha or even he stingray(mainly cos of its good reviews and cheap price), i can use the extra to buy an amp

Thanx any ways guys and if u have any other suggestions on a good entry level bass at a fairly cheap price, just post it.

Thanx a lot guys 4 your help:D :)

12. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    the cheapest i could find for the olp was $195
    but there was the 5 string version for $170
    Just a question, should i begin bass using a 4 string$

13. A simple lesson that I learned the hard way: Play before you Pay. Seriously, it is something worth doing if you want to buy any kind of instrument.

14. Oh I would definitely start out playing bass on a four string. I did and then moved on up. ;)

15. Oh, when I bought my first bass, I bought a pretty good one for a beginner. I bought a Fender P-Bass Lyte which has P/J Pickups and has a jazz neck on a p-bass body for around 620 U.S. dollars. It really helped out with the whole learning experience. I'm not saying that you should go out and buy the most expensive bass you see, but I just thought I would throw that out there...Hehe.

16. The learning curve is the same for either bass (4 or 5). I would suggest 4 until you know what genre of music you will settle into. Others will disagree but that's okay!

YMMV!

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    thanx heaps u guys. I was just wondering whether musicians friend ship to australia, and wether ther are any shipping costs etc.

Btw that olp mm3 5 string was reduced from $399US down to $189. It ends up costing the same as an ashton ab2...i no which one id rather.

What do u guys think of that deal?

18. I agree, I have his old GSR and his Soundgear his sooooooo much more comfy than the GSR!

19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man, definitely ;);)

20. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man. Actually I think the GSR is a soundgear (?). Anyway, all of them have the same size neck, they are small, and really fast.