Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

<--- newbie who needs advice on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THeNEWBestNEWB, Nov 20, 2002.

1. THeNEWBestNEWB

THeNEWBestNEWB

Nov 20, 2002
    Hi all,
    I've played bass for a total of about 10 minutes, and its definitely something i want to spend money on, (and time of course), but i dont have a whole lot of money, im getting about $400 for xmas, along with any money i have left over from car expenses. any tips on a descent beginner bass that along with amp and everything else comes out to around $700-800 ish? also and example of what i could get for significantly less $$ than that.

thanks,
    NEWB

2. hey...i'm pretty much a beginner too. i got a peavey bass package and i think it's a pretty good one. I only spent $299 on it, and i think it's a good quality for that much. The amp is a little small, but it sounds really awesome.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The best thing you can do for yourself in this circumstance is to go to a music store and play a few different basses and see what you like. Pay attention to the feel of the bass; is it comfortable? Too light or too heavy. Does the neck feel nice to your hand or is it like a baseball bat? Then pay attention to the sound and see how you feel about that.

Some recommendations for your price range would be Mexican Fenders, Squire, Yamaha, Ibanez, and Essex. I am sure others can provide more feedback as well.

Welcome to the bottom.:)

Dan

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    And don't be afraid to go used. You can get a lot more for your money with good used basses/amps.

Go and try out everything you can get your hands on (the fun part). Whichever combination of bass/amp that sounds and feels the best to you is where you money should go.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    unless you like the feel of bassball bats like in warwicks... ;)

6. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, there are a few questions I have for you... Do you plan to join a band or ensemble? Or are you just going to play privately?

First, I would spend ~ 150 US on an Essex SJB-62 jazz bass from http://www.rondomusic.com/ Don't let the price tag fool you, it is an amazing steal and a great bass for beginners and intermediates.

Next comes the amp, at this point, you should think of a combo amp. How many watts depends on how you are going to use the bass. Band or alone?

Next, you might want to invest in some misc. stuff, a tuner for one ($20), a nice long bass cable or two (~$20), and perhaps a nice gig bag or something to keep your baby safe :) ($20)

Ok, back to the actual bass, now, you can get the SX, but another option just came to mind, available for ~300/400, are these wonderful basses called MTD Kingstons, a great bass that you'll have to grow with you for years to come. Either the SX or Kingston, you'll be pretty happy.

So, you could spend around 300 on the bass, and anywhere from 100 to 300 on a nice starting amp, and a few bucks for the misc, and your pretty much set for a good amount of time, have fun!

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    With that kind of money I would buy a Mexican Fender Jazz and spend the rest on an amp. Maybe a used SWR WOrkingman's 15 or a similar combo.

8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh.:)

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I forgot to add that if you are going to buy a proper hardshell case you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $100. I would get a cheap hardshell before I get a gig bag, but that is just me.

10. .. And dont listen too much to the salesmans "good advice", they are there to SELL the most expensive thing they can make you buy. Try out everything, and remember, as always.. it is your money-you decide! Good luck, and dont be afraid to post questions here.. we all like to answer them! ;)

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    To add to what Mesa Man said, if you are feeling pressured by the sales staff ask them to leave you alone for a bit or leave. That way you can think things out for yourself.

A good sales person will ask more needs directed questions (eg. what style of music, budget, size, etc) and let you decide on the bass you want. They will also let you try them out.

Beware of stores where the sales person wants to demo the bass but not let you try it for yourself.

Good Luck.:)

12. THeNEWBestNEWB

THeNEWBestNEWB

Nov 20, 2002
    wow, i wasnt expecting this many responses!

for the moment im going solo, but once i know what im doing, im probably gonna wind up in a band. (by then i'll probably buy new stuff)

when i finally buy everything, i am gonna bring a friend to help...

btw, how long did it take you to get fully comfortable and confident that you knew how to play?

thanks all

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Some will disagree with me here, but as far as getting comfortable and confident in your playing....

I worked my freakin' butt off for a year before got confident with my own playing, I felt pretty good about it long before that, but the 1 year mark was the point I really knew that this was where I belonged, and I was going to follow through.... & push it as far as time/$$$ allows.

LIVE bass for a year and you'll begin to understand what it's all about. LIVE bass for 10 years and you've scratched the surface :).

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Interesting statement. I used to play when I was 15, up until my early twenties. Then life happened (kids, marriage, etc) and I stopped. A year ago I got back into it, part-time. It is only a year later that I know it will continue even with all I have to learn and relearn. I can really feel the meaning of "10 years and you've scratched the surface". And its great fun:)

THeNEWBestNEWB, I knew back in my teens that bass was the instrument for me. I can hear the music inside when I play, even when its the bass and me :)

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've been playing bass for about 4 1/2 years now [it's not that long of a time]. For under $400 for all the things you need to get started i'll give you a couple of different options that i recommend to people at school that want to get started on bass.
    Basses:
    Essex fretted 4 string bass [p-bass, j-bass, etc] i don't think you could go wrong with an Essex bass. @ max $200 or 210 shipped
    MTD Kingston Bass [i dunno how much they cost]
    a used DeArmond Pilot Plus [i have the 5 string version] can probably be had for under $200 or so used.
    Used Fender Standard Jazz Bass [mexico] $250 or so.
    Squier P-bass Special no offense but i'd go Essex before i'd go squier [more bang for the buck IMO]
    Amps:
    Fender Bassman 25 [not sure of price]
    Peavey small bass combo [15-30 watts w/an 8 or 10inch. speaker]
    Carvin combo amp that meets the above.
    Accesories/Misc:
    a tuner [$20] i have a korg CA20 [chromatic]
    a nice strap-i've got a Levy's M6 Leather [$38] one but you don't need to get one like that to start since it's a preference thing. A nylon one runs about $10 or so see your local store for more.
    cables depending on brand/length $10-100 [fender california cables are what i used for a while $12 or so a cable]
    Gig Bag/Hardshell case $20-300 depending on quality and style.

I tend to tell people i'm still in 4th grade in that i can do things pretty well but i still have a lot to learn and there are things that i don't know about yet. Thats if bass was an education system with players such as but not limited to Jaco, Victor Wooten, etc. as being the college professors [or former ones]. Thats all

16. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm actually a noob myself, I've been on guitars for about 4 years now. Funny thing is, I've always wanted to play the bass, my main influence to go into music was a bassists, and it was his music that drove me, I don't know why i started on guitar, but oh well. I picked up bass earlier this year, I'd say about the 5th of 6th month, and have been accelerating I think. I been spending alot of serious practice time with my bass. I've also gone through two other basses :)

I started playing the bass with the wrong mentality. I don't know if I was still in guitar mode or what, but I quickly realized the way I approached the instrument was wrong (one gig and I knew I needed to change), so I took a better approach, read a few lessons and practice my ass off.

I'll continue this later, getting cut off :(

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    LOL! I thought long and hard about an Essex. The problem is shipping to Canada, exchange, and then having to pay duty on top of all that. I would have loved to try one, especially their equivalent of the P-Bass Special.

A salesman at a local music store told me that the Jay Tursers (sp?) are the exact same instruments as the Essex. Anyone know if this is true or not? I am heavily skeptical on this one. The models I see at Rondo don't even look similar to a JT.

18. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you know anyone that really knows their stuff with basses, take them along with you and hit the pawn shops. You can find a lot of good deals there if you know what you are buying.

19. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    To get me started I bought a gently used Washburn XB-105 for about a hundred bucks. For the money I think it would be hard to beat, but then again I haven't tried the Essexes and everyone here seems pretty keen on those. :) The lower-end Ibanez GSRs are pretty good basses that will set you back about $250 and a great for metal and harder rock. As far as an amp goes, get a little combo amp to start with. A lot of people really like the Peavey MicroBass. I went with a Fender Frontman 25B, and I can't say I regret it. Beautiful warm tone, explosive lows and crisp highs. It only set me back about $150. Total, my setup ran me less than $300.

20. Hey, im also fairly new at bass for olny playing for a few months. I personally recommend a good solid bass that will last a long time and take years of practice while still being good enough for a few shows. The bass i currently have is a Dean Demonator. I love it! But for a first bass I loved my Epiphone which i was borrowing from our drummers dad. Its 4 years old and looks and works like brand new. I definatly recommend an Epiphone, any model or color is up to you, but they make damn good insturments. In any case i put in my 2 sense. I know little about amps so i cant help you there. But good luck on all your future evandors in the bass, and i hope you stick with it.

Signed,
    Desinova