1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie wiring/pots question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CoffeeBass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. I am going to replace the stock pup in my P-bass and maybe add a J-style pup beginning this weekend. I was looking at new pots and I realized that I don't know what to use to replace my tone knob :confused:

is it just an eq pot? Also, what are the pros/cons of the 250k pot vs. the 500k pots?

Finally, to intall a blender knob do I just run the two pups to it and then to the volume? Is it just personal preference as to whether or not you use a blender vs. two volume knobs or is there more to it?

I appreciate the advise.:hyper:

CB

2. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    The tone pot is the same kind as the others, it just has a .47 cap on it...when I started modding my wiring, I went to seymor duncans wiring diagram site and followed the "map" so to speak...you can find the one you are looking for, or try fender.com, they have their diagrams up again. You should be able to find the exact configuration you are looking for...as for the 250/500, there are tons of threads regarding this issue.

Run a search, but basically you will end up reading:

250, darker, boomier
    500, brighter, punchier

but it is really hare to describe the actual difference.

3. Thanks for the reply.

I am slowly doing the research. Theres just so much info here, sometimes it's hard to find it all.

CB