Newbie with a couple questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackaroe, May 12, 2002.

1. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    Hey all, i new around here and have a few questions. I've been playing for about 5 months, and think its time to upgrade from my extreme cheapo, Hondo 4string and Titan Amp :) Well i was wondering what you guys thought about making the jump to a 5string, and some good models (between 200-400). Also some good 4 strings in the same range. thanx for the help!
  2. Most of the 5ers you are gonna find are in the 400 price range. My first 5er was a Yamaha BBG5A, for $350 retail. I think the model was discontinued, though.

For a little more you could get an MTD Kingston 5, they go for about $450, IIRC. That might be one of the best 5 strings under $1K.

You could get a Mexican Fender 4 string in that price.

There is quite a lot in your price range. You might want to check out and see what basses are in your price range, then play them at your local store.
  3. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    does anyone have any Pros/Cons of a 4string to a 5string? Is it a good idea to switch early on?
  4. iv been playin like 10 months and thinkin bout gttin a 5 string just to do covers and stuff like that ill still mostly use my 4 string though. i think u shouls wait just a little more to get a 5 string. u shaid u have only been playin 5 months. u must not have mastered the 4 string yet.
  5. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    definetly not, but i'm upgrading to a much better bass and was deciding if i should make the jump now?
  6. If you're in with the broke bunch of us, and you only get to upgrade gear maybe once a year or less, then, yes, you should make the jump now. But definitely go out and try 5 stringers and find the one you like best. Make sure you actually do want a 5. (I was kinda like, oh yeah, the more strings the better, but then I decided that I just enjoy the 4 more)
  7. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I just switched to a five a couple monthes ago and must say I like it alot better. I havent played my four since I got my five. the advantage of a five is more range, it allows you to play more without moving much. The disadvantage is that the neck is a bit wider, and in most cases the strings are closer together, this can be an advantage for some, but it makes slapping more difficult.
    The advantages of a four is that it has a narrower nect in most cases, and for the most part easier to slap on. This is based on what I see as the general opion on fours and fivec ect. I have never played on personally (not enogh good music stores around :mad: ) but I have heard that the Kingston is the best thing going near that price range.
    My advice is go for the five, you may not always use the extra range, but when you do you will be glad it's there.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Personally, I don't think it really matters when you switch from 4s to 5s. I know guys who have waited 25 years to switch and I know people who have started out on 5s. It's really up to you. Do you feel that you could utilize a Low B enough to shell out the extra money for the extra string? That's the question you should ask yourself.

Remember, you can get a good 5 string for the same price as a great 4 string.
  9. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If you are going budget 5, make a good choice. A little wider string spacing and 35' scale neck will make your transition a smooth one. I too think the MTD Kingston would be a great first 5 string. Check out BassCentral on the web. I happen to think playing a 5 is easier because the patterns can be played all over the neck.
  10. It took me nearly 8 years to jump from 4 strings to 5, and I prefer 4 strings. I keep my 5er because it's different, but I primarily play my 4 stringers.

It kight be different for you, but why not make the jump to 6 or 7? Why stop at just 5?

Personally I have no desire to go above 5 strings, but you may be different. Take a look at all your options.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Pros of a 5 string... can do anything a 4 string bass can and more. A 4 string can't do what a 5 can. The 5 gives you the ability to go lower than E on the fly, offers alternate fretting patterns making some a bit easier imo.

IMHO I think its better to make the switch early on. Ive been playing a 5 for about 5 years now. I really wish I made the switch earlier in life, the advantanges of the 5 simply out weigh the disadvantages, in fact I dont think there are any dissadvantages or cons to owning a 5. They allow you to be a more versatile bassist. Also if you're wanting a 5 now, chances are good you'll wind up wanting one down the road. So You'll wind up saving money in the long run if you buy a 5 now.

Play as many different 4 and 5 strings as you can within your price range and buy the whichever sounds and plays the best to you and will suit your needs best.

where does it say you have to master a 4 string before you can/should get a 5 string. thats a bad outlook on it. If you want a 5 get one, if you want a 6, 7, 8, 9 or however many strings get one. There is no law saying you have to start out on a 4 string, or even master it before moving on to a 5. Other than the B string a 5 string does have the same strings as a 4 does, B E A D G. So its a pretty safe bet that he'll still learn to master those strings as well. Thats just MHO of course.