1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie with a few questions; slim line double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JayfromDeeKay, Apr 15, 2012.

1. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    Hi guys,

many years ago I bought a cello and started practicing. However, I always preferred playing pizzecato to bowing, and always wanted deeper tones, so I purchased a fretless electric bass and have been playing it for years. Lately I've been wanting to make the shift to double bass. :hyper:

I'm going to move to a rented semi-detached house that shares a wall with one other house. So I'm thinking that practicing the double bass might be too loud?

That's why I've been considering if getting a slim-line bass would be a solution to this, since I suppose it's quieter? Does anyone here have experiences with them?

I'm going to play jazz only on it, and I don't think it's realistic for me to play in bands for a good many years, since I have three small kids and a busy job, so I would mostly be playing it at home or with a few friends.

Here are some links to the bass I've been considering:

Pictures:
    Thomann Slim Line Double Bass Europe 1 Overblik 11 - Thomann danske Cyberstore

Specs:
    Thomann Slim Line Double Bass Europe 1 - Thomann danske Cyberstore

Another option I'm considering is that there's a guy here in my country who imports cheap chinese basses, but then gives them a thorough setup (fretboard levelling (is that the correct term?), replacing the tail-end wire with a better one, setup), so you get a cheap instrument but one that plays well.

From reading posts on this forum I've gotten the impression that without a really good setup, the cheaper thomann basses are all but unplayable.

2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    If you want to play jazz, get a real double bass. it wont be too loud.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    +1. If it's too loud, pizz softer.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Get a good double bass. Practicing shouldn't be a problem.

There is no such thing. :)

VictorW126 likes this.
  5. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    There is, but after all the work requred, you might as well have gotten something better...plus it'll eventually fall apart.

6. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    No need to permanently limit your music palette out of fear of being too loud. A rubber practice mute is, what, nine dollars? You can further cut down on transmitted sound by placing your endpin on a pillow. You can mute still further by weaving some cloth strips between the strings, just before the bridge. And then there's always a blanket or two, tacked up to the wall itself.

Get the bass you want to play. Then work on making it work for your place.

lurk likes this.
  7. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, my tongue-in-cheek response was really meant to convey that, even with a good setup, a cheap bass won't play well, if that includes sounding good too. I certainly agree with what you say and have been singing that song here for years. It's just bad economy.

8. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    Ok, guys, thanks for your advice. It's much appreciated! Gonna avoid the cheap chinese and the slim line and get a normal-size double bass.

What price range do I need to get into to get a decent instrument that's playable and that won't fall apart?

A local store is selling a lower-end Strunal 50/1 european-made double bass for 2100$ (1327 £ or 1613 Euros).

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Take a look here for a wealth of useful information. The minimum you can expect to play for a decent entry-level ply bass (e.g., Shen) delivered with a good setup, is about $1500.

10. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks!

11. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    Personally I can recomment Christopher basses. I myself are playing a DB 201, a plywood bass with a great sound for Jazz.
    They are build well and with the right setup are very good to play - even my bass teacher is very positive about this bass.
    Cost about €1300 but is worth every cent.
    More info on Christopher string instruments.
    They are also available via Thomann, but I do not know how good the setup is done by Thomann.

I play my bass directly in the room next to the sleeping room of my kids. With pizz no problem at all - if I play in the night times I just do not plug this hard.

12. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    I spent about $1200 for my Shen SB-80 and love it. Ive put a bit more money in it over the four years I've had it, but its reliable, sounds great for what it is, and has been a truly awesome bass.

13. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks, much appreciated.

14. tlintu

tlintu

Jan 2, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    This thread is old as... But it is still one of the only search results for slim line double basses.

That Thomann (made by Hora) slimline bass is just amazing instrument in that price segment. Finish is gorgeous and playability is really something. As what OP asked years ago, no it is not quieter than ”regular” bass. It might lack some bottom, but it is as loud as rest of the double basses.

I bought this as my first bass and it has got it’s share of compliments from luthier, teacher and fellow bassist already. It’s easy to play and I would highly recommend it at this price range. My first option was chinese rockabilly bass from Thomann but that was just piece of s*** and more like a decoration item than instrument (finish wise).

15. I heard there's a guy who has one. But he does not show anyone!

Oops. I did not notice how old this topic is.