Newbie With A Ghost Ubass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SixKids6, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you for adding us to your group! Perhaps you might be able to help us. My son and daughter each got a new Kala, solid Mahogany, Hollow Body, Acoustic UBass this week. I tried to record them with my Sony A-57 Digital camera on video. My daughter was playing her Pono Baritone Uke. My son, his new Lefty UBass. (Just on a side note, when talking to the Kala Rep., Kala is no longer making any Lefty Ubasses at all, nor any more solid Mahogany Ubasses, neither left or right-handed.) But, I digress, (sorry). My son was plugged in to our Fishman Loudbox mini amp. The camera recorded my daughter on the Baritone just fine, but the Ubass was completely missing in audio! We then cranked up the volume on the Ubass itself, and on the amp, until it was over powering the Baritone Uke. Although we could painfully hear the Ubass standing in the room while it was being played, it had the same result, except we now heard distortion noises, (but again no bass heard on the video!). I then tried our Zoom H-5. Again a ghost UBass. We are in a folk Gospel group and occasionally make recordings of our songs. Does anyone know how to record a ghostly Ubass? (Please note that I am a singer, with no working knowledge as a recording person, so Please,
    'dumb it down ' for me!) Thank you so much. I REALLY appreciate ANY help.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sounds like the microphone on the camera doesn't have much bass response? Just guessing.

3. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    I thought maybe that might be the reason, that was why I switched to our Zoom H-5 which is usually WAY better at recording our songs. But still a Ghost bass. :( I didn't know if I should be turning up 'something', or turning 'something' down! My son told me, "Mom, you don't 'Hear' a Bass, you 'Feel' a Bass. That's why you can recognize the bass in person, but not on a video." !!! :)

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The Zoom H5 ought to be able to record it. I hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon...

SixKids6 likes this.
  5. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you! I do as well! :)

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Try a different playback device.

I suspect that whatever you are using is struggling to reproduce low frequencies.

SixKids6 and pudgychef like this.
  7. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    Perhaps you might be right. I believe the laptop might not, but not sure the Zoom H-5 wouldn't be able to play back. I wonder how the people putting videos on youtube do it. Not knowing much at all about electronics, (except sometimes I am able to locate the 'on' and 'off' buttons!), I wonder if whatever a pre-amp, is would do anything for it?

8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I second playback device. I know when I'm trying to learn bass in songs, what I chose for listening to said songs makes all the difference. I use computer speakers with subs when I wanna especially here the bass.

SixKids6 likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Or good headphones (not earbuds)

mbelue, sigterm, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  10. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    We do have Beyution V4.1 Bluetooth headphones, and Beats Solo 2 Headphones. (Haven't tried listening with either of those yet, but we will try.) Thank you.
    I am wondering though that if we can't hear it on a recording, if we copy to a CD, (or youtube), how will others be able to hear it as well?

11. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I would not use the beats because they also don't accurately reproduce the bass (it will be muddier and exaggerated, so people listening on youtube might hear something wildly different)

The other headphones are your best bet. Since you can't control too much with what you are attempting to do, where the Fishman is located relative to the camera will probably make a huge difference. I would experiment with moving the amp around and doing test videos. Then listen with the headphones on the laptop to see if it sounds ok. Once you have a good setup do your final recording.

The Sony you have also has an external microphone port so you could try to use th at if you are still unhappy with the results. This will give you a little more flexibility with placement since you can then move the amp, the recording device, and still get the video angle you want.

You can try to play with the equalizer settings as well. I record bass directly into an interface and then use an equalizer so I bet others can do a better job explaining what to fiddle with on the fishman using a mic.

BooDoggie likes this.
  12. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    Could we use our Zoom H-1, just for the Ubass, and then somehow plug the Fishman amp. into the H-1 and somehow then add that to the recording from the back of the room, done on the Zoom H5? Might that help for adding the sound of the bass to our recordings?

13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    have you plugged some earbuds / headphones directly into the Zoom ... any bass .?

is a 'filter' of some sort turned on . ? is the auto compression stuff turned on .. ??

have you tried plugging ukes into a mini mixer - that audio out directly into camera . ?

or maybe plug the bass uke directly into cam and see how it sounds .. ??

it is always some combo of ' reading manuals & experimentation ' ... = best guesses .. ! ha

BooDoggie and SixKids6 like this.
  14. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    We will try. Thank you for suggestions! Since we are starting at a minus-square-one, it is a challenge!!! :)

15. BassManKK

BassManKK

Feb 1, 2016
    The H5 will pick up the bass frequencies just fine, even with the built in mics. Your playback device is lacking bass response.

SixKids6 likes this.
  16. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you. We also plan to check our H-1 and H-5 to make sure we haven't inadvertently turned off the lower bass frequencies somehow.

17. Get a cheap little mixer , plug in your mics, instruments and feed Your Camera with that.

Something like this - $60 bucks. Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer

SixKids6 and bholder like this.
  18. SixKids6

SixKids6

Apr 7, 2018
    Just so I have this right, does a 'Mixer' mix the sound so that the music, singing, and noise are all 'mixed' together and the sounds are all at the same level of sound?
    As it is right now, the 4 singer's mics, the mic for the banjo, and sometimes the acoustic guitar, are all plugged into our sound board. The baritone uke has it's own amp, and the UBass will either share an amp, or use it's own amp.
    With the 'little mixer' you mentioned, would we still be running all of our singing mics, and our instruments through our sound board, or eliminating it?

19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    You already have the sound board, so you already have the mixer, there's probably a headphone output on it somewhere?

SixKids6 and BooDoggie like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    If you have a home theater system or smart tv that can stream via Bluetooth you could try just beaming it to that. Most tv and home theater systems can handle bass frequencies well.

SixKids6 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022