1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

newbie with a music theory question

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by jonathan_matos5, Apr 14, 2006.

1. hi im a newbie bass guitar player with a question:bag:
    i chose bass guitar because its cheaper and fits in my room:D
    im starting to learn how to play using scales and chords and i need to know how imortant it is when playing a song with a 7th 9th 11th 13th etc chord to hit that particular note whithin the scale and is there an easy to transition between keys from the higher octive to the lower octive on the fret board
    this would be for building a walk bassline if that helps just wanted to hear an opinion of double bass players thanks

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You have to start at the beginning with walking bass (root, fifth) and then you'll add 3rds and 7ths. Then approach notes, etc.

I would suggest that you get Ed Friedland's book on building walking bass lines. Work through that book and it will help you a great deal.

Good luck.

3. Try thinking in chord cycles. Example: E is attracted to A and A to D regardless of whether the chord is Major or Minor.

Start on the 12th fret ( E String), Play E, go down a string same fret and play A, go to the 10th fret E string, play D, go down a string same fret to G, continue till you get the complete cycle:

E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb(F#),B and E

(very important) Make sure you say the note out loud as you play

Next Exercise:

Most tunes use triads. (Major, Minor, dom7, etc)

When you get this down, start to play the E Major Triad R, 3rd, 5th for each Major chord then continue through the cycle, Then you can add a 7th then 9th, 11th etc.

very important) Make sure you say the chord out loud. Example: E major, A major, etc..

Try all major , minor, Dom 7 etc..

A fretboard diagram would be helpful here. By doing the above everyday, you will learn the fretboard and where the notes are, but more so you will learn what the chords sound like. Soon creating creative bass lines will be easy and endless

Good Luck