newbie-with a pickups question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Oct 17, 2003.

1. I've played for 2 years and I have a question regarding Jazz basses,especifically meaning pickups , question is which is the best pickup I could get if i want to have less hum but without affecting the current tone? My bass is a MIM standard.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    In my opinion, the best choice based on the criteria you described would be a set of Nordstrand NJ4SE split coil hum-canceling jazz pickups. You get the classic, single coil jazz bass tone with a little kick and growl, but without the noise and 60 cycle hum that plagues traditional single coil pickups. There are tons of great jazz pickups to choose from, but the Nordstrands will greatly improve the tone of your bass without adding any noise or hum...the best of both worlds! :D
  3. Lindy fralin. I use them and I am familiar with the tone they produce, and I like it!

Check out the "pick ups" forum!

4. The only problem with Fralin's is that they are no longer available. Lindy has dropped off the face of the earth from what the poop in the industry says. Lotsa folks want these pups but with Fralin MIA...
  5. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Whoa, what happened to Fralin?
    Where did you hear this? I haven't heard this, not that I'm that connected, but wow...
    I hope he's ok.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Not another pup manufacturer dropping off the face of the Earth. :(

Dang, I have Fralins in my Joe Osborn. If you can find some, you will be happy with them.

Another good pickup maker is Bill Lawrence. These do not have exactly the same sound, but they are noiseless and do have more of a vintage sound than Bart or EMG.
  7. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    These guys claim to have $30k worth of Fralins on the shelf. What's the dilly-o?

As far as less hum and same tone, sounds like a definate candidate for shielding. Not difficult and makes a difference!

8. Lindy Fralin winds every pickups that he sells??? I am amazed.